Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn the key on (neutral light on) and haven't hit the ignition yet, the cooling fan turns on. It just pops on. Engine is cool, been sitting for days. I just wanted to kick it over for maintenance sake.

What do you think? A short, a bad relay?? I suppose much better than not coming on at all, right...lol.

·
Master of the Electron
16,110 Posts
History? Has this just started or did you just get the quad, etc., etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @QuadManiac. Just got it---bought it used. Replaced the battery (old n failing), new sprocket (was sharkfinned) and new oil filter and change. Didn't notice the fan coming on immediately in the last 2 months I have had this quad...certainly, came on after some riding as it should. Riding n stopped for rest. Fan on. Batt died...I am sure the fan pulled a ton of energy from the battery. Batt was old anyway, so compromised to begin with---like I said replaced, and it is now 2 weeks later with a new battery and when I turn key, then the fan comes on automatically. I have never had a Yamaha 660, so I am getting to know the bike. Btw, my brother-in-law in Murrieta mentioned you ---he said you are one of the resident experts. Any ideas are welcome. --Phil

·
Master of the Electron
16,110 Posts
Here's the wiring for the fan - Assuming you haven/t re-wired and there are no shorts in the harness, I suspect the 'Thermo Switch 1' (#15 in the diagram) is stuck on, causing the fan to stay on... you can test by unplugging the connector from it- fan should go off if this is the problem. BTW, the Red/White wire is 12V from the run/stop switch (not the key switch)... so turning off this switch should also turn off the fan.

Slope Parallel Font Rectangle Drawing

Reactions: Phil_B_98
1 - 5 of 5 Posts