Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 660 did not have a fan when i bought it last fall. i bought one on ebay and put it on last week. it comes on as soon as you turn the key on. i did notice a two prong plug that had a jumper and was taped up by the fan. Any ideas anybody!

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner has wired the fan up to ignition power for some reason, by passing the temp. Sensor.

·
Master of the Electron
15,552 Posts
THe P/O jumpered across the fan thermal switch connector - either because he KNEW the thermal switch was bad or just because he thought so.

In reality, the fan seldomly comes on under normal conditions, but you can force it to:

Remove the jumper, plug the connector back into the thermal switch at the bottom of the radiator. Cover the radiator with a piece of printer paper and idle the bike for a while... after 15 to 20 minutes, the fan should come on, stay on for a minute or two and then go off again, repeating every several minutes. If it never comes on, it's likely that the thermal switch is bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks QuadManiac, I will give that a try and get back with you. I never did see the thermal switch at the bottom of the radiator.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, there is a plug plugged in the thermal switch at the bottom of the radiator. The wire is real tight. I have not took the plastic off yet to investigate.

·
Master of the Electron
15,552 Posts
What wire colors are on that connector plugged into the switch at the bottom of the radiator?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I got it, the plug that was pluged in the switch at the bottom of the raditor was brown, BK and WH/BU wires. It goes in the switch at the thermostat housing. The pluged that was jumpered is black with BU and RD/WH wires and goes in the switch at the bottom on the raditor. I started it and it ran for about 10 mins and the fan came on. The P/O may have done this when he took the fan out so the over temp light would still work. Thanks QuadManiac

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think I got it, the plug that was pluged in the switch at the bottom of the raditor was brown, BK and WH/BU wires. It goes in the switch at the thermostat housing. The pluged that was jumpered is black with BU and RD/WH wires and goes in the switch at the bottom on the raditor. I started it and it ran for about 10 mins and the fan came on. The P/O may have done this when he took the fan out so the over temp light would still work. Thanks QuadManiac
That's why I never mess with the wiring end of things! :D

·
Master of the Electron
15,552 Posts
Great! Glad you found it and it was an easy fix. Glad to see you can read the wiring diagram too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts