Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, lose weight... Thanks! Seriously, my wife, being the cool chick she is, just bought me my first quad, a used 2003 Raptor 660R. The bike is all stock except for the exhaust, and it has barely been used. Looks almost new. Unfortunately, not until she paid the guy and got it home did I find out what she was doing, and we found out the max load on it is something like 280 pounds (according to the owners manual). I am 6'3" and weight about 340 pounds. Is there anything I can do to this bike to ensure I'm not going to destroy it (suspension upgrade)? Or do I just ride it until it dies under my girth? Thoughts? Thanks!!

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
For sure purchase some skid plates to protect your investment. Spend $220 on a G-Force axle (includes cost of wrench). That will help with the tippy feeling. Spend a couple hundred bucks on a set of pre-owned YFZ 450 shocks. Just a minor mod to the a-arms to make them work.

The factory rear suspension can be dialed in to help with cushioning out the rear by adjusting the preloads.

That would be the areas I would start in, and you're out very little. See if that helps before you drop thousands on suspension.

~Brian

·
Registered
145 Posts
i wouldnt worry about riding it though, i doubt it will break under your weight as unless you do some huge air or something, i would just go ride it

but mods are always good :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
i'm about 280 and have been riding the snot out of mine. i do not jump however, not really my cup of tea. i would invest in a good chain and keep it adjusted right. makes sure there is enough play to compensate for it to tighten up under load but not so loose to slap on the guide.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
welcome to the forum bro!
as you can see there's tons of great help.
Have fun with your rappy :thumbsup:
tell your wife she made the right choice (the raptor) :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flynbyu said:
For sure purchase some skid plates to protect your investment. Spend $220 on a G-Force axle (includes cost of wrench). That will help with the tippy feeling. Spend a couple hundred bucks on a set of pre-owned YFZ 450 shocks. Just a minor mod to the a-arms to make them work.

The factory rear suspension can be dialed in to help with cushioning out the rear by adjusting the preloads.

That would be the areas I would start in, and you're out very little. See if that helps before you drop thousands on suspension.

~Brian
Thanks Brian. I found a G-Force "adjustable" axle from a company called rockymountainatv.com for $199. Does that sound right? Thanks again man, I really appreciate it!

Robb

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pro-Pain said:
i wouldnt worry about riding it though, i doubt it will break under your weight as unless you do some huge air or something, i would just go ride it

but mods are always good :)
Thanks! No, no HUGE air, just mini air (for now). I played with this beast today... WOW, even with my fat a$$ on it it is sick fast!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jlraska said:
i'm about 280 and have been riding the snot out of mine. i do not jump however, not really my cup of tea. i would invest in a good chain and keep it adjusted right. makes sure there is enough play to compensate for it to tighten up under load but not so loose to slap on the guide.
Will do! thanks a million!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rt said:
welcome to the forum bro!
as you can see there's tons of great help.
Have fun with your rappy :thumbsup:
tell your wife she made the right choice (the raptor) :lol:
Seems like after 118 years she finally made a good decision!! Oh wait, it only SEEMS like 118 years... Thanks for the welcome!! I can see spending a LOT of time in here!

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
FatRaptorRyder said:
Flynbyu said:

~Brian
Thanks Brian. I found a G-Force "adjustable" axle from a company called rockymountainatv.com for $199. Does that sound right? Thanks again man, I really appreciate it!

Robb
Yes, that's the one Brian is talking about.

Welcome to the site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts