Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you that are running the FCI intake have found a foam filter that will fit it? I am not to pleased with the K&N filtering in sandy conditions.

I tried a search with no luck.

Thanks

·
Registered
850 Posts
The filter that comes with the FCI is not a K&N. Its an 8 ply filter, double what a K&N is. Also from what i remember hearing the filter is an integral part of the FCI. Changing it would actually hinder the performance that it was designed for. With that said. Im sure if you still want to go foam you could measure the inlet and order one from notoil.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I plan on keeping the FCI filter for a majority of my riding. I just rode in some extremely dusty conditions recently and there was dust on the inside of my intake tube. So in those instances I would swap it out if I knew it was gonna be the same.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Make sure your filter is on correctly and tightened up so dust doesn't get in. Also, when i had my FCI i siliconed the air temp sensor into the intake tube. If you don't it will suck dust in through the gaps since the FCI doesn't secure the sensor very well. I would try this stuff first. I've never heard of anyone sucking dust through the FCI filter if its set up right. Oh yeah, also make sure your filter is oiled correctly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. The filter is freshly oiled. But I need to check my temp sensor. and silocone it

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
TQS sells a foam wrap for dusty days. I also saw a foam stocking you pull over filter but can't find it now. If I do I'll post a link up here.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Thanks. The filter is freshly oiled. But I need to check my temp sensor. and silocone it
I'm not sure how often you clean the filter, but in dusty conditions it should be after every ride if you can find time. You shouldn't have dust in your intake tube. You'll have to replace the rings or intake valve seals soon if the problem continues. :(

Take Care
www.kbmatv.com

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Fine dust and wet conditions have always been the purview of the foam filter. K&N and FCI aren't paper though, they are cotton gauze and shouldn't be confused with the cheap paper crap that you see in the automotive world from other manufacturers.

It's a give and take relationship, these filters can only be so efficient before you have to make a choice; do I go with better filtration and less flow (Foam) or more flow and sacrifice some of the ability to catch the finest of dusts (cotton gauze). The FCI is claimed to be one of the more efficient filters and I haven't seen many who were unhappy with their performance but perhaps a more strict cleaning regimen as KB suggested may help the situation.

I didn't see anything mentioned in this thread from you or anyone else about an outerwear, I'd suggest you use one if you aren't already. Another possibility would be a custom foam wrap of the FCI if no direct replacement filter exists.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I just ran my FCi with outerware on what I consider the ultimate test. One that roached my scrambler 400 with KN and outerwares. The oficial name of the trail is The Dusty Trails, it is very appropriat. With 10 other Atvs all following each other. I never led. Every one wears a dust mask on there face. I was really worried. It was the first time with my new raptor. filter was fresh before the ride. Filter was choking the raptor way down on power before we got back to truck. Got home and checked inside the intake not a trace of dust VERY impressed.

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
I have both foam and a K&N with outerwear. The K&N came off my quad and went on my wifes after the 2nd set of rings in a year.. So I did give up some power but less ring wear.. I put a foam outerwear on the wifes Raptor after I had to clean her intake tube on the very frist ride she went on... I have had K&N filters on on my cars and trucks over the past 30yrs and this was a let down for me... The K&N will make more power but you will be in the motor sooner than you think.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Oops sorry cotton gauze,Not paper. And I have used an outerware on a K&N still dust went right thru. The dust im talking about is if your riding in groups behind some people.Not alone looking behind you. Here in coal country if your face is covered then hope you have a foam filter.And a dust mask. Or you could measure the ID and try one of these. Im still testing out one to see how it filters. So far so good. Best part is no oil or cleaners just 10-15psi air from the inside.
About the filters,
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx
Filters
http://www.amsoil.com/products/ea_filters/EaAU_Photos_and_Specs.pdf

pre filter,
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eapf.aspx

Just locate your local Amsoil dealer for a price

Just a little dust sample from a friend,

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. I took the sensor off the tube and siliconed it back in. After a dusty ride it checked clean. seems that was the issue.

I do run an outerwear on the filter.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Oops sorry cotton gauze,Not paper. And I have used an outerware on a K&N still dust went right thru. The dust im talking about is if your riding in groups behind some people.Not alone looking behind you. Here in coal country if your face is covered then hope you have a foam filter.And a dust mask. Or you could measure the ID and try one of these. Im still testing out one to see how it filters. So far so good. Best part is no oil or cleaners just 10-15psi air from the inside.
About the filters,
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx
Filters
http://www.amsoil.com/products/ea_filters/EaAU_Photos_and_Specs.pdf

pre filter,
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eapf.aspx

Just locate your local Amsoil dealer for a price

Just a little dust sample from a friend,
Let me know how you like these filters k

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
I have both foam and a K&N with outerwear. The K&N came off my quad and went on my wifes after the 2nd set of rings in a year.. So I did give up some power but less ring wear.. I put a foam outerwear on the wifes Raptor after I had to clean her intake tube on the very frist ride she went on... I have had K&N filters on on my cars and trucks over the past 30yrs and this was a let down for me... The K&N will make more power but you will be in the motor sooner than you think.
Dale the fci filter is not a k&n, fci makes there own filter which is an 8ply filter compared to the k&n 4ply filter so twice the filtering properties, and if you run the outerware its even better.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Correct me please if I am mistaken, but from what I gathered the Amsoil and FCI filters are a dry version of a cotton gauze type with more layers than a traditional K&N. Is this correct?

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Correct me please if I am mistaken, but from what I gathered the Amsoil and FCI filters are a dry version of a cotton gauze type with more layers than a traditional K&N. Is this correct?
No mad dog the fci is an oil type filter like k&n, just double the ply of k&n

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ok. I took the sensor off the tube and siliconed it back in. After a dusty ride it checked clean. seems that was the issue.

I do run an outerwear on the filter.
So... What do I win? :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts