Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd let you all know that LTE makes a mid-pipe specifically for FCR clearance on Raptor's. While it didn't fit mine perfectly(I still had to do some small clearancing, it may fit other intake designs better-mine is a Kenz), it does fit. While I'm not completely happy about the fit, or the astronomical price($176 shipped), it's still better than having to deal with out-of-frame pipes IMO.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Have you had the out of frames on your bike?

I agree that they are a pain, but if it's going to cost someone nearly 900 dollars to get a set of LTE pipes to fit it makes it much easier to live with.

I looked into the LTE pipes hard for about 2 weeks, decided I was better off with what I already had, especially after I figured out there was absolutely no way in hell they'd fit regardless of the headpipe's bend.

If I wore shoes/boots that were higher than my ankles I'd never get burned.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maddog56 said:
Have you had the out of frames on your bike?

I agree that they are a pain, but if it's going to cost someone nearly 900 dollars to get a set of LTE pipes to fit it makes it much easier to live with.

I looked into the LTE pipes hard for about 2 weeks, decided I was better off with what I already had, especially after I figured out there was absolutely no way in hell they'd fit regardless of the headpipe's bend.

If I wore shoes/boots that were higher than my ankles I'd never get burned.
I'd be willing to bet that LTE would include the mid-pipe for free if you bought a set new. But mine are over two years old.

As for the Barker's, I frequently wear shorts, tennis shoes, and personally think the out-of frame pipes look like crap. So making the LTE's work was the best approach to me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I'm 5'6" with calves as big as tree trunks, so I'm sure the Barker's would get me frequently. :grin_nod:

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
For as much as my carbs cost, I'd rather get a little warm every once in a while than attempt to boil my float bowls. I always ride in jeans anyway. If you've got a setup that will work with them without getting too close for comfort then good for you. If that was my case I might have gotten a set.

I can live with the looks, I get quite a few compliments on them actually even if they're not polished or coated.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maddog56 said:
For as much as my carbs cost, I'd rather get a little warm every once in a while than attempt to boil my float bowls. I always ride in jeans anyway.

I can live with the looks, I get quite a few compliments on them actually even if they're not polished or coated.
To me, the Barker's scream "I'm a race bike". And I prefer the more "sleeper" look of in-frames.

The clearance problem isn't with the float bowls. There's plenty of room there. It's the accelerator pump that it's right next to. And I'm sure the fuel doesn't stay in there long enough to boil since everytime the throttle position changes, the pump cycles.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
I'd just about have to set the edge of the bowls on the LTE if I could fit them but yes the accel pump would be the next issue if I got the bowls far enough forward. I'm more concerned about heating the carb bodies up and deteriorating seals and gaskets.

The carbs would have to get awfully hot to flash boil the fuel I know, but knowing I'd be pushing the process along is concerning to me.

I thought about the sleeper look and it's appealing to me, but around here I've never seen another set of barkers unless I'm at the sand dunes. I like being unique more than I enjoy psyching someone out with the sleeper idea but it's a close second.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maddog56 said:
I'd just about have to set the edge of the bowls on the LTE if I could fit them but yes the accel pump would be the next issue if I got the bowls far enough forward. I'm more concerned about heating the carb bodies up and deteriorating seals and gaskets.

The carbs would have to get awfully hot to flash boil the fuel I know, but knowing I'd be pushing the process along is concerning to me.
With the exception of the right hand pipe running next to the accelerator pump, the LTE's are FAR away from the FCR's. The pipe that crosses over to the left hand side is at least 4 inches behind the carbs. With the bike moving, I doubt there is any heat transfer from the exhaust to the carbs. Or a minimal amount at most.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CoalShedRacing said:
You plan to dyno test the new mid-pipe to see how the power was affected?
It wouldn't be a fair dyno test since the last time it was dynoed(67 RWHP) was when it had stock carb's, not the FCR's. If anything, I'd expect the new mid-pipe to flow better than the original, since it's straighter. I do plan on dynoing it, unfortunately the the last dyno I used(Kenz) is now 1100 miles away. :'(

Thank's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.