Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and I am really interested in a trade for my 02 400ex for a used 03 660. I have heard little good as to the reliability of the carbureted versions of the 660. I have done a little home work and found out that throttle response and electrical issues are common also. I have read through a lot of threads in this forum and there is a ton of support for sure. I am looking for some honest feedback. This kid tells me he is to small (125lbs) and it runs fine. I showed up and it wouldn't start because the spark plug boot had broke. He is trying to get a hold of me now so its time to make a decision. What do you guys think?
Thanks for reading. Here's the link check out the pics. head lights come with it.
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2382713281.html

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Just so you know, all years that the 660 was made they were carbed. If you are looking for an unbiased opinion, you may have come to the wrong place, haha. We love our Rappys here. I'd say a lot of it depends on what your 400ex is worth to you, and do you feel that you can find something better than what he has to trade. What throttle response issues and electrical issues are you saying are common? Anything specifically?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
haven't heard much about throttle responce but yeah there are some electrical problems but they are all easy to fix the electrical isn't too complicated. its an 03 raptor so the transmission should be good...I'd go with it but it depends on the condition of your ex

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response. I realize i would probably get some what biased responses, but that probably tells you that i am leaning towards making the trade. I had heard, obviously from an unreliable source that at some point they went to fuel injection. the specific throttle response problems i believe were due to electrical issue with rev limiters or a sensor.. some thing to that sort. I am mechanical but not a mechanic if that makes sense.
I think my bike is worth 2k and its clean and reliable. I do not have a lot of cash flow to spend so reliability is key for me. I wouldn't mind making a lateral move to a ltz of kfx but that's not realistic in any kind of time frame. I am a little bored and they are pretty awesome bikes. Did you check out the link? What is your opinion on what you see? I actually want it but I'm leery about reliability. I know i have to account for its condition but that aside are they high maintenance. Thanks again

·
Registered
18 Posts
THhs is my ex: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2407049388.html

Nothing special but its my only means for escape. He's seen it and wants it so its up to me i believe. Elaborate on the transmissions.
Thanks
2001-2002 tranny have week transmission and 1st gear is usually first thing to break and needing replacement.

I have an 01 with first gear problems, but reverse and all the other gears work just fine.

As I am fairly new to these board as well, I have seen much knowledge when folks have issues with there Rappy's....The choice is ultimately yours.

·
Registered
521 Posts
2001-2002 tranny have week transmission and 1st gear is usually first thing to break and needing replacement.

I have an 01 with first gear problems, but reverse and all the other gears work just fine.

As I am fairly new to these board as well, I have seen much knowledge when folks have issues with there Rappy's....The choice is ultimately yours.
wrong wrong wrong.
it was only 01's with the notorious transmission (not nearly as common in 02+) and it was 2nd gear, not first.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Just make sure his 660 wasnt stolen. Nothing like trading quads to find out the one you recieved is stolen. That way your stuck with a hot quad and he doesnt have to worry about it any more.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Don't take it if you can't start it and ride it...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome feedback! I will say that he has said that he has a title. Obviously need to check that out. I need to make sure it shifts good, but if it hasn't been torn up we should be fine. Is there anything else I should be aware of or look out for? Thanks guys

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to try to go back out on Sunday. I believe he's changed the coil pack with a new plug wire. We'll see. Im going to try to pop in on him so i can start it cold.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I would definitely make sure he's changed that stuff out before you go back over there. Tell him you want receipts or something for that stuff too. You don't want to find out later that he just had his brother's cousin's daughter wrap her training bra around the old one and temporarily fix it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe the entire wire, boot, and cylinoid are all one piece. Not sure though. I think i will be pretty thorough. Any more pointers before i check it out on Sunday are welcome. Thanks everyone i will keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
No problems with throttle response, in fact I've heard some who have stepped up to the 700R raptor missed the off idle throttle response of the 660. Not saying they're right or wrong, but it's not a problem.

There are no problems with the electrical unless you count having a reverse rev limiter and parking brake limiter as safety features that most users disable. There is no "problem" with the build, just that people don't like the limiters.

There are 2 real problems with the 660, one is the 2001 model year transmission which is hit and miss. To be safe, I normally recommend simply steering clear of 01 models. The second is the one-way starter clutch on all years. This is about a 300 dollar parts cost and while it isn't inevitable it's certainly common.

I believe the entire wire, boot, and cylinoid are all one piece. Not sure though. I think i will be pretty thorough. Any more pointers before i check it out on Sunday are welcome. Thanks everyone i will keep you posted.
As QM stated, don't buy it if you can't ride it. If you can't hear it run you're taking a huge risk, and for 2500 you should be able to find one you can actually take for a test ride beforehand.

They are not all one piece, the broken spark plug cap itself can be unthreaded from the wire and replaced.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That makes sense. Information prior to logging in has come from non raptor owners and been here say. I just talked to my neighbor He's a little biased too, swears by their 5 valve motor though. I just got off the phone with him and the part is apparently repaired. The bike is running. So from what i have heard everything is somewhat manageable and I know what to look for. What is questionable at this point is the internals. CP piston and crank. He doesn't know if the compression has changed or not. We shall see....Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
CP makes pistons under the name CP and connecting rods under the name Carillo. They do not make crankshafts, but they could have put a carillo rod in a stock crank. The stock rod is usually the weak spot as you go to build up an engine so it would make sense they would replace it.

I'm always weary when someone doesn't know the specs of their build. Either they bought it with the work already done and therefore can't tell you much about it, or they paid someone else to do it. Hopefully that person they paid knew what they were doing, but CP and Carillo are good products so that's a good start.

As for the piston, it's not the stock compression ratio if it's a CP, they only make 11:1 and higher CR's for the 660 motors.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the kid doesn't know what he has. I'm not sure he referred to the crank as a cp crank, possibly just that it was replaced. You would only replace the crank if you were going to stoke the bike correct? I know you can get a different length rod but that would have to be in combination with changing the stroke of the crank or the height of the piston right? Or is it possible that he change the height of the piston and the stroke of the crank? Sorry I'm obviously not a mechanic. Just trying to get my bearings.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Rod length does not effect stroke length, only the position of the piston in the cylinder. It's likely they simply replaced it a stock length rod from Carillo. They would have replaced it because someone told them that the stock rod is a weak point and that they should do so.

I myself have an aftermarket crankshaft and rod, for the sole purpose of improved reliability compared to the stock rod with my engine build. It's common to replace the rod just for reliability purposes.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts