Raptor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought an 04 660 that had been stored for the past 4 years. The original owner took it to a local shop to have it gone through which is where I went and looked at it. When I got there it was very obvious the mechanic that had got it running was an idiot. Basically he charged the battery, added new gas to the old half tank still in it, and it ran so that was that he left it.

I got a good deal on it and it did run and everything worked so I bought it before that idiot could touch it anymore :wootwoot:
I could tell when i was checking it out that the carbs needed to be gone through and adjusted. When I got it home I warmed it up to get the oil hot so I could drain it, started draining all the fluids and tearing it apart. Once I got to the carb my problems began. Total of 4 stripped Phillips brass screws (these will soon be alan) and the worst part both fuel screws where stuck:(. I managed to get one broke loose without stripping but the other one just stripped right out.:eek:
I tried easy outs, left hand bits, files, picks, ect ect and still can't get it out.:mad:

Here is my question...could I possibly use a helicoil in this situation? Has anyone ever done it? My worry is that the helicoil insert will need to be too deep and may effect the screw and its seal. Also that the tap will be too long but I may be able to do the old trick of run a few threads then cut them off the tap and keep doing it (I've done this a few times). I'm hoping I can find someone that has tried using a helicoil in this spot and how they went about doing it.
One thing I have not tried is running a die in to break out the remaining screw, reason being...I hear horror storys of cracking the carb when doing this and would like to know if a helicoil can be a last resort...if no one has tried one I might be the genie pig! Then most likely I will be off to buy used new to me carbs :rolleyes:

EDIT: I have one more quick question if anyone has the answer? What is the thread (tap) size for the fuel screw? Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice!

:needpics:
here she is :)

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
well I have it all the way drilled out and have most of the screw out indluding the needle itself, however the outside of the brass threaded part is still stuck in the threads all the way around.
I am needing to know the tap size for the whole to try and clean the threads. I found it on a post in one of the forums recently but now can not seem to find it no matter how much I look! Someone has to know?

EDIT: tap size is M6x.5 for anyone searching. Very hard to find tap come to find out...may have to order it, waiting to hear back from some machine shops local...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts