Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i finally have some money to fix the raptors tranny..Yes 2001.....Im asking for some info what i should or shoulnt do..Came across a guy that works on raptors and he says hes replaced just the 2nd gear on the tranny and hasnt had any problems sooooooo far.Id like to spend as little as possible on tranny so i can put either the +4mm crank or big bore kit ..I dune ride only soo id like to get your opinions..I know the 686 is the easiest gain but 719-720 im sure is a huge diff.. I know this topic has been gone over many times but id like to be fresh when i let him know what to do..Oh ya should i look into 2002 tranny or ripper tranny..Id like to keep the expence of the tranny down again .I have a eddie sanders pipe and k&n filter with jet kit,i have the 13 tooth front sprocket...Soo in closing what do you all think.Thanks pete

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
If all you do is replace the gear you're going to have the same problem over again. If your trans doesn't work it doesn't matter how much power the engine puts out.

Do the trans right with an 02 swap, not just a gear replacement.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
richmond559 said:
I kinda figured that but wishfull thinking i guess..Should i get aftermarket tranny or yamaha 2002 tranny..how bout the other fix...
Fortran is the only one I know of with aftermarket gears but I'm not sure it's a whole trans swap. You should be fine using the 02-05 OEM parts. I'm not sure if any of the sponsors here have them, but you'll find the parts you need at ripperracing.com or rspconcepts and the information is availible at raptortranny.com

A 4mm stroker and new piston and cam is the hot setup right now, all the better if you have the cash for good porting as well. Not sure on your budget, but it's probably not going to include another 700 for dual pipes and 800-1000 for carbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts