Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I adjusted my valves last night I'm pretty sure I was in top dead center not 100% tho the bottom tick I can not find if my life depended on it it's like it wore off? Anything would help at this point

·
Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
Remove the spark plug. Put a straw or something of the sort in there and slowly crank over by hand. The point the straw is at its highest is TDC. Run it through the cycle twice looking for your tic.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,292 Posts
So I adjusted my valves last night I'm pretty sure I was in top dead center not 100% tho the bottom tick I can not find if my life depended on it it's like it wore off? Anything would help at this point
Remove the spark plug. Put a straw or something of the sort in there and slowly crank over by hand. The point the straw is at its highest is TDC. Run it through the cycle twice looking for your tic.
No, no, no! You don't need any timing marks or straws to set the valves on a 700.
Remove the flywheel access plug and cam cover then turn the motor by hand with a ratchet until the cam sprocket bolts are horizontal. Check the rockers for movement. If they move you're good to adjust. If the rockers are tight, rotate the motor ONE revolution until the sprocket bolts are horizontal again. Check the rockers for movement again. If loose now, you're good to adjust. If the rockers are loose both ways you goofed up the adjustment. Check the horizontal that the valves are loosest and readjust. NOTE; as you rotate the motor it may quickly rotate to the horizontal bolt position. Don't worry, this is normal.

About the only time you will need to find the timing marks is degreeing a cam, check ignition timing or maybe checking deck height.

·
Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
Ha, you are right DEZ. I had it confused with my dirt bikes on finding TDC, lol. Good catch.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,292 Posts
Ha, you are right DEZ. I had it confused with my dirt bikes on finding TDC, lol. Good catch.
Just another trick up my sleeve, I have hundreds, not counting the ones I forgot.

It basically works on all 4 stroke bikes when the crank and piston flip over. If the rockers are loose, it's OK to adjust. If either one is tight, turn the crank one more revolution and check again.

It just so happens that the cam gear bolts on the Raptor 700 are horizontal. Others may be the same, but IDK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts