Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DC7BBEC2-4DEA-4338-86CF-16036771871A.jpeg
24156696-D19A-4DFC-AA3A-994DDC6AC9C8.jpeg
75686F6F-725D-44BF-A0D1-D15F4236D2BF.jpeg
2EA80B33-5048-405D-85D1-FC67FFD38F89.jpeg
ADA68ECF-42AB-4E0C-A0ED-0FECEEABE7E5.jpeg

Finished up the plastidip and stuck on the decals. Was short on time and managed to do it all in 24 hours. Turned out better than expected for my first time “painting” anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, carbon fiber vinyl looks amazing on a matte finish. Wish I had some better pictures but just headed back to school and won’t see her for a month ?. At least when I do it’ll be at Glamis?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah my guess is not too long, but I’m thinking that touching up problem areas as they appear should help. I don’t plan on riding many tight trails either so the plastics shouldn’t get much abuse.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If your going to glamis, they are literally going to get sandblasted. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the sand is definitely gonna be hard on the bottom side of the rear fenders, but smoothies on the front should keep the important stuff from getting blasted too much. Never tried hydro dipping, I was originally gonna do that but since I just wanted a solid color I would just paint them. If the plastidip doesn’t last that’s what I’ll do, but I love the finish and feel of the plastidip

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Have you ever tried hydro dipping the plastics?
Hydro graphics hold up very well if they aren’t taking impacts from branches and boots. My girlfriends bike has the plastic painted, sealed, hydro dipped, and sealed again. It’s been 2 years and theres no damage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hydro graphics hold up very well if they aren’t taking impacts from branches and boots. My girlfriends bike has the plastic painted, sealed, hydro dipped, and sealed again. It’s been 2 years and theres no damage.
How much did it cost for everything?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,841 Posts
I can verify it looks fantastic, it won best in show at the North West Raptor Rally and still looked good the next year. And, yes, she rides it!

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
How much did it cost for everything?
It was under $400, for drag cut plastics and helmet. That was also including fixing a gouge I put in the plastic while trimming them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hows it holding up so far? Any peeling?
Havnt been able to ride it yet, but will let you know how it handles Glamis after Presidents’ Day weekend. I can tell you it doesn’t like gasoline though, leaves spots, but will probably rub out with some alcohol or the slightest bit of paint thinner

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plasti dip performed great, other than pressure building up inside the gas tank and spewing gas onto that top panel and ruining the coat. Luckily that part is easily to pull off and respray, but I’ll probably put a sheet of vinyl on it instead and not worry about it. Was using an Alba gas cap, just got a Tusk one and will see if it does better. Googled it and might be boiling gas also? Not sure. Gonna ride a bunch over spring break so we’ll see

·
Registered
452 Posts
Good to hear you are enjoying the coat. Bummer about the gas though. If I fill my tank to the very top, then the vibrations at certain sustained RPMs will actually resonate just right to push the fuel up out of the tube and spill. Most gas caps just use a straight through vent tube, but the OEM cap actually had a float inside it that would close when gas sloshed up on it preventing any from spilling out, but still allowing it to be open to atmosphere.
I forget who at the moment, but I saw a nice vent tube with a check valve on top that looked promising. I’ll have to dig it up...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Alba cap I was running had a one way check at the end of the short hose, and because of the this pressure was building up inside. I noticed this after just a couple minutes of riding when I checked the gas level and air/gas hissed out past the threads as I took the cap off. I’ll try the Tusk cap and see if it can hold the pressure, but I don’t like the sound of building up a ton of pressure in the tank if it’s abnormal

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As expected, the dip easily holds up to the dunes, 3 Glamis trips and it’s still perfect. I was screwing around with some wheelies and came to a stop pointed straight up then rolled it down onto the right rear fender and it dug in pretty hard, zero damage. I know plasti dip doesn’t have the best reputation and often isn’t taken seriously, but this DipYourCar stuff is pretty great. Tons of unique colors too. Just a little effort and now I smile every time I look at this thing. The carbon fiber vinyl turned out nice too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts