Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first crash yesterday. I was riding around the dunes and found a nice spot to jump. I jumped it quite a few times. I was getting some decent air I thought. Well, for only being my second time doing this type of riding.
Anyway, I was heading toward the jump and as soon as I hit it and was in the air I knew it wasn't going to be good. The back of the quad came way up and the front was aiming down. When the front tires hit and dug into the sand. I flew off and the quad rolled and landed upside down. I didn't see any real damage to it. The only thing that bent was the tab on the grab bar where the flag mounts. There was one mounted so that is why it bent. Being that it landed upside down. I thought I was getting the hang of jumping a little bit. Then that happened. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
Thats a bad feeling when then front dives when jumping. You never know whether to just bail and jump off or try to ride it out. Ive really learned to lean back when jumping to keep it level or the front up a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I was doing on the jumps before that. If anything most of them the front was a little to high.
I even had a weird feeling about the last jump too. I was going to go ride around but then was like one more time. And then that happened.
I think the jump was changing after hitting it so many times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
When you are in the air you can correct the level of the machine. If the front is to hi just tap the rear brake and it will bring it down, and if the front is to low just give it some throtle and it will bring it up. If you ever watch supercross you can see the bike change angles in mid flight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
sparky yfz said:
When you are in the air you can correct the level of the machine. If the front is to hi just tap the rear brake and it will bring it down, and if the front is to low just give it some throtle and it will bring it up. If you ever watch supercross you can see the bike change angles in mid flight.
Dont forget to pull in the clutch before you tap the brake......landing on a stalled engine sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sparky yfz said:
When you are in the air you can correct the level of the machine. If the front is to hi just tap the rear brake and it will bring it down, and if the front is to low just give it some throtle and it will bring it up. If you ever watch supercross you can see the bike change angles in mid flight.
:thumbsup: I'll try that next time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
601 Posts
i had my first crash this weekend. I was hauling ass across this flat area and some people had been riding in a circle so much that they had created a berm. Well there was someone doing doughnuts and i did not see it and i hit it and it kicked the ass end of the raptor up and bucked me off at about 40 mph. After my head slapped the ground i rolled once or twice before the raptor decided to run over my ass and rolled me some more. I know it rolled completely over me because i seen the front bumper as it hit my left shoulder and then the rear skid plate as my hand hit it and pushed it off of me. I have a mean headache and a couple of bruises but i got lucky and was not hurt any worse. My bike is Ok but the clutch lever was bent somehow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
will the tranny wear out much earlier if the clutch isnt pulled in when you land the jump?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TEXAS700 said:
i had my first crash this weekend. I was hauling ass across this flat area and some people had been riding in a circle so much that they had created a berm. Well there was someone doing doughnuts and i did not see it and i hit it and it kicked the ass end of the raptor up and bucked me off at about 40 mph. After my head slapped the ground i rolled once or twice before the raptor decided to run over my ass and rolled me some more. I know it rolled completely over me because i seen the front bumper as it hit my left shoulder and then the rear skid plate as my hand hit it and pushed it off of me. I have a mean headache and a couple of bruises but i got lucky and was not hurt any worse. My bike is Ok but the clutch lever was bent somehow.
Damn, lucky you didn't break something. :eek: Were you on sand?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
rappy_700 said:
will the tranny wear out much earlier if the clutch isnt pulled in when you land the jump?
You don’t want the clutch pulled in when you land......most good jumpers actually blip the throttle on the landing to transfer the downward force to forward momentum to soften the landing some.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top