Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading the owners manual and it doesn't make sense.... follow me here...

It says.. "

10. Install both drain bolts
11. Install crankcase engine oil filler cap (why the hell have an crankcase engine oil filler cap if you don't use it to fill the crank with oil)
12 Pour only 1.16 US qt of oil through the engine oil tank filler hole, insert the dipstick, and tighten
13. start the engine and rev it several times.

If I understand correctly... the engine is starting with no oil in the crank... hence why the crankcase oil filler cap.

grrr... maybe I'm just an idiot... help please.

·
Registered
82 Posts
im changing mine too but havent started. And i was wondering the same thing. But a little off topic but did you buy new o rings?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I didn't. The guys at the Yamaha shop here didn't recommend new O rings to me either, they all looked very good still.

So... grrr. I'm seriously right in the middle of this right now... All I"ve see around here is "read the owners manual". I did... I'm still hesitant to start this thing up with no oil in the crankcase.

·
Registered
216 Posts
mrtrick said:
I'm reading the owners manual and it doesn't make sense.... follow me here...

It says.. "

10. Install both drain bolts
11. Install crankcase engine oil filler cap (why the hell have an crankcase engine oil filler cap if you don't use it to fill the crank with oil)
12 Pour only 1.16 US qt of oil through the engine oil tank filler hole, insert the dipstick, and tighten
13. start the engine and rev it several times.

If I understand correctly... the engine is starting with no oil in the crank... hence why the crankcase oil filler cap.

grrr... maybe I'm just an idiot... help please.
I've changed the oil in my 700 already and didn't have any problems. Pour 1 quart into the engine oil tank (black box) and put the dipstick back in like it says. Start the engine and let it warm up (that's why they say rev it a few times). then put a 2nd quart of oil in the engine oil tank and you're ready to go. I'm guessing you changed the filter also?

The dealership told me when I bought it that as long as there is enough oil in the tank to reach the bottom of the dipstick, it's safe to start the engine. Don't be scared to start it with just one quart in the tank. Let the oil warm up and get into the crankcase, add the rest of the oil and go riding. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
494 Posts
I followed that procedure for the first oil change but wasnt comfortable with it.

Ive changed the oil 2 or 3 times since then. Now i pour 1 qt in the tank, 1 qt in the crankcase and fire it up.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i put 1 qt in the crank case and 1 in the external tank ... let it run for like a minute .. then add the rest

·
Registered
182 Posts
yea i dont think that it is a good idea to start the engine without the right amount of oil in it. i put 1 qt in the crank filler and 1 qt in the oil tank before i start it and then just have to add a little bit. The owners manual says it should be 1.95 qts i think, but mine took about 2.5 qts and reads right at the full line.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've changed the oil in my 700 already and didn't have any problems. Pour 1 quart into the engine oil tank (black box) and put the dipstick back in like it says. Start the engine and let it warm up (that's why they say rev it a few times). then put a 2nd quart of oil in the engine oil tank and you're ready to go. I'm guessing you changed the filter also?
just to clarify... letting the bike warm up is NOT the same (in my opinion) as turning it on, revving it "several times" and turning it off. Just revving it a few times won't let the bike warm up, it'll just move the oil through the engine quickly. I doubt you want to let your bike run long with only 1 qt of oil and it usually takes a few minutes to warm the bike up... revving it takes maybe 10 seconds.

I know some people are leary of doing anything the manual says but I did it the manuals way, word for word, and it worked fine, no problems.

Just my 2 cents.

Rock

·
Registered
728 Posts
this quad has a dry sump oiling system, they reason being is that they didn't want alot of oil in the bottom of the engine. the oil pump has two parts, one to supply oil and the other to remove it back the tank. as soon as the engine starts there is oil instantly supplied to the crank. jmo, overfilling the crankcase makes the pump work harder than usual, plus they don't want the crank to splash up the oil and get it foamed up. gm uses the same thing on the new 2006 corvette z06

·
Registered
24 Posts
For those of you who have not done an oil change READ THE SERVICE MANUAL ... NOT the OWNERS.... they tell you to do it totaly different in the service manual and this is the BETTER way.... It is also the way it would get done if you were to take it to the dealership... or at least should be.

I actually showed the Yamaha Reps the differnece in the 2 manuals and he said it was not right that they are different but either is ok... He actually said if it was him he would follow the service manual.

I know that there is a link on here for the service manual but if any 1 needs help I have it on CD as well... Just let me know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
See page 3-23 in the service manual. #11

·
Registered
913 Posts
I change oil 1 per month because I ride alot, I from both nuts and remove oil filter. I usually take out the spark plug boot and turn the engine over to remove any oil remaining thru the oil filter section. After that I put a new filter on. Close all drain holes. Fill resevoir until full. using the starting button i turn the engine over a few times with the sparkplug boot still off so the bike doesn't start only turn over. Refill the oil rezzie again, then put the spark plug boot back on and start the engine. I never reved the engine only let it idle for about 1 min. Shut it off and check the oil level again and fill to recommended level.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I could use a link to the service manual. What is the procedure that the service manual states?

·
Registered
665 Posts
uh oh!!! ive done two changes with filter cahnges and i just drained it, and poured 2 quarts in the crank case and that was it, bike runs fine but ill sure do it differently next time if u guys think i should

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hey MonsterMatti,

I did the exact same thing you did! I drained all the oil out of the resevoir, and the crankcase. changed the filter, and then added 2 qts straight to the crank case. I let it idle for like one minute, and then checked the level in the resevoir...it was a little low..so I added it in through the dipstick area...and now all is good, but in the future i think I'm going to add 1 qt to the crank case and one to the resevior , just to be safe

·
Registered
368 Posts
Drained all the oil....

Put 1 qt in the crank case..

Put 1 qt in the black box...

Started er up.. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts