Raptor Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
How many of you have a dip stick that doesn't read accurately? Prior to changing the oil, I checked the oil and it read well above the hash marks. I figured the dealer might of put in more than two quarts, after I changed it and put in "exactly" two quarts it read well above the hash marks again? I am thinking that I don't have the correct dip stick? and yes, I changed the oil filter and drained the case too...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I put 2 in and its well below the marks and E, it barley hits the bottom of the stick, Ive changed my oil 3 times and it takes about 2.3-2.4 to get to the middle of e and f

·
Registered
37 Posts
sikraptor700 said:
I put 2 in and its well below the marks and E, it barley hits the bottom of the stick, Ive changed my oil 3 times and it takes about 2.3-2.4 to get to the middle of e and f
Huh, that is really weird? I put in exactly two quarts and it's well above the hash marks, just about 3/4 up the stick... What gives?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Are you guys checking the oil hot or cold?

·
Registered
37 Posts
same here, run it till operating temps, shut it down and let it cool for about 5-10 minutes then check...

·
Registered
33 Posts
hmmm well this is what it says in my lil owner book..

1.place atv on a level surface

2.Start the engine , warm it up until the engine oil has reached a normal temperature of 60 C (141 F) let it continue to idle for ten seconds or more and then turn the engine off

NOTE: To achieve the proper engine oil temp. for an accurate oil reading, the engine must have first completely cooled down, and then warmed up again for several minutes to normal operating temp.

3. Remove the dipstick, clean

4. Insert dipstick in filler hole ( WITHOUT SCREWING IN) and remove to check level.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I check my oil everytime I ride and get a different reading. Its aggravating because it will read a little low on the dipstick and I'll add a little to fill and then next time I go ride and check it will be way over the full mark. I even use a digital thermometor to check oil temp. Why does Yamaha make everything so damn difficult. :rocket:

·
Registered
33 Posts
dberry367 said:
Its aggravating because it will read a little low on the dipstick and I'll add a little to fill and then next time I go ride and check it will be way over the full mark.

Dude i had the same deal happen to me too... i got pissed so i just did wat the book says

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 660, its pretty much the same deal except i have no crankcase fill cap. The raptor uses a dry sump oil system, which means that it pumps the oil from the tank and into the case and recirculates it will not hurt a thing because that is the only way to drain the oil into the crankcase on a 660

21 - 31 of 31 Posts