Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for me to order some dedicated flat drag race paddles. And for my HP level, Skat-Trak is recommending either a 10 paddle Extreme Grip(in 22's) or an 11 to 12 paddle standard Hauler(also in 22's). Is there any reason to not go with the Extreme's? Are they significantly heavier than the standard Hauler's?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I've got some 9 paddle UL extremes I run on sand tracks, its all the tire I can use with a 6inch swinger and no wheelie bar. I would imagine that a groomed sand drag track probably hooks better than an average hill but I couldn't say for sure because I've never been on a sand hill.

They recommended 10 paddle extremes for 58hp??? or is that based on a new projected power level from the new port/carbs etc?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Track conditions change often. Most of us down here run extremes tripple buffed. I run the 12 paddles with a wheelie bar.Most of the paddle to hp ratios is based on 2 strokes. I believe in the extremes when running less paddles (12 or less) to keep the from folding under the torque. The guys running power adders and/or big engines run 25" tires no less than 12's. We run 25" 16 extremes on our rigid chassis 794 raptor. We have found the rippers were heavy and not really needed. It gets expensive to try a bunch of combos. Luckily for us we have friends that we swap tires with to test at the tracks.

What is going to make the difference is if you can leave hard enough to get the larger tires/paddles turning. In 300ft it takes a WHOLE lot of power to run someone down if they get out on you from the gate. We had some guys form Arizona including Ken from Kenz at one of our races down here. They could not believe the tires we were running compared to what they did back home.
I think they were pretty close if your going to be at 70+hp and 50+tq. Call (Jims Sand toys) they have excellent prices and tons of information.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CoalShedRacing said:
I've got some 9 paddle UL extremes I run on sand tracks, its all the tire I can use with a 6inch swinger and no wheelie bar. I would imagine that a groomed sand drag track probably hooks better than an average hill but I couldn't say for sure because I've never been on a sand hill.

They recommended 10 paddle extremes for 58hp??? or is that based on a new projected power level from the new port/carbs etc?
Skat-Trak made that recommendation on my last dyno tune of 67RWHP and 50RWTQ. My old(we're talking 0ver 2 years ago) made 59. As soon as I get my head and carbs back from Kenz, I'm expecting mid 70's out of it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So ya think 10 paddle Extremes would be too much for a +4.5 swinger? :crazy:

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
you're running the JTM extension? I really don't know about the tires, I don't know the consistency of regular sand but I'd think it would be much looser than a sand track they put water on so maybe 10s would be what you would need. Its also important to consider that when my bike is in drag form, it sits about 3 inches off the ground and has solid aluminium struts in place of shocks, the struts make it so it doesn't pop up because it makes the tires lift the whole weight of the front of the bike where as shocks will unload.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Two things I've learned about Skat-trak:

1. They're always off with their paddle recommendations, 1-2 paddles high on extremes and more on regular haulers. But they'll always suggest extremes, claiming the haulers aren't strong enough for even a stock hi-po 4 stroke.

2. If you're going up a hill or in a straight line and not going triple buff, regular haulers are a better bet. The weight advantage as well as a more flexible paddle make the case IMO.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Do some pic searching on Planet Sand. You will notice the difference on tire selection in the duner/hillshooters vs the flat draggers.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
scholle said:
Do some pic searching on Planet Sand. You will notice the difference on tire selection in the duner/hillshooters vs the flat draggers.
Terrain seems to make a sizeable difference. If it's flat dragging at the dunes or a track with soft sand more paddles are used than if the track is wetted down before runs.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went ahead and ordered some 21x12x8 10 paddle Extreme's. I wanted a little tougher carcass since the place where everyone drag's here is kinda rough in some spots. We'll see how they do.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
i'd have gone with the haulers. Most hill shooters i have seen run haulers. I like them and they seem to be strong enough to deal with it. but too late...

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Weight is very important, but more important for hill climbing because of the way the sand hill will suck away so much power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts