Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I have read heaps about doing the flipped link mod to the 660, & problems with binding, & yes it's good, no its bad etc.
So I figured lets do it, doccument the process, & mod as required to prevent any binding happening if the suspension bottoms out.

Wash the Quad well first, a clean bike is easier to work on (trust me, you will still find dirt/sand/dogshit etc in all sorts of crevices & hidden corners)
1/ Support the Quad on a stand or box that will lift the rear wheels off the ground
2/ For ease of access remove the rear wheels (I didn't, but it would have helped)
3/ Unbolt the rear suspension linkage complete from the swingarm (1 bolt) & the chassis (2 bolts)
4/ Remove the complete linkage from the quad
(see pic 1)

5/ Remove the bottom pivot bolt for the shock
6/ Turn the linkage over & put the bolt back in, but don't put the nut back on
(see pic 3)
7/ Pivot the link on the shock until the link hits the bottom spring carrier
8/ With a vivid marker draw a line around the bottom spring carrier to clear it by about 1/4" (6mm)
(see pic 4)
9/ Use a linishing belt or grinding wheel to grind away the metal in the marked off area
Keep the edges smooth & the shape nicely rounded, or you could create a stress point where the link might ultimately fracture (if you keep bottoming things out)
10/ Reassemble & check the clearance
(See pic 7)
11/ Strip Clean & paint the ground edges so they won't rust
12/ Clean out all the bushes, bolts washers, spacers etc (or you'll have grit & rubbish in all the linkages & they will grind themselves apart
13/ Grease & re-assemble the complete linkage
14/ Re-fit to the quad, & then give several shots of grease into each grease nipple to ensure plenty of fresh grease is in all the pivot points

The back of your quad will now sit 2-3" lower, & the handling will be significantly improved due to getting the centre of gravity lower.

Widen the back end, widen the front end & fit YFZ shocks, & you'll be set to rock!

Click on these links for a better description of binding concerns and fixes:
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=760848&postcount=256
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=761032&postcount=258

Not to beat a dead horse and start another thread about flipping the 02'-05' rear shock link but there seems to be two sides to check for binding and possible grinding to safely accomplish the flipped link mod. The thread starts perfect for the steel clearance check but does not mention the possible binding on the backside of the shock end with the dog bone. Not sure why but it seems like some people need to only modify the steel piece and others only the aluminum dog bone and yet others need to do both. I bought a 2002 link and shock from ebay with the link already flipped but the shock rod is bent and from the looks of it, it was caused by the second area that should have been checked for binding, the dog bone to back of rebound adjuster. I have attached a picture of the area in question with red circles around the problem area. As for the new sticky it might be helpful to others to have the original post with the descriptions of this other issue and how people solved it with as many pictures as possible of what people did and how much they ground off with no issues or for that matter even if it went bad it could help people stay away from the same mistake. The current sticky has a good description of the second area of bind but not till page 17 or so. Hope this at least helps others read the whole sticky before trying the mod. Once again thank you to every one for the great info and making the Raptor that much nicer to own, ride and work on.

I machined off about 4mm at the corner of the raised area tapering back towards the spring collar with no issues. This might help for any one looking to grind off some of this area to help with clearance but afraid to go to deep and wreck the shock (this is a 2002 shock). I also grooved the dog bone a bit to help just in case. I will try to mount this up to the raptor this weekend and take pictures at both full rebound and full jounce to show the clearance on the steel bracket and the clearance on the dog bone to the back of the shock look.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great write up! I might have to do this mod. I just got my YFZ shocks so this might compliment them well.

·
Registered
371 Posts
wow im really thinking about doing this, what does everyone else think, good or bad

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Well the benifit would be a lower center of gravity. Take you seat off and set on the bike it feels so much different besides the sharp pains :lol:

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you grind the Link correctly, you still have full suspension travel without anything binding.
I had my shock preload wound right off & I could bottom the shock without anything hitting!

The bike sits 2" lower, thats a substantial reduction in the height to the centre of gravity.
With the YFZ shocks or other to lower the front end the same amount, the change in handling is significantly improved

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have ran this setup for about 4 years now. You can definitly tell it squats lower, and I have hit jumps up to 45 ft in length without any problems. I know others may have different opinions but I can only speak from my experience with it. I am glad that I did it and don't plan on changing anytime soon. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
did this to my 03 660, but didn't grind anything. i bottomed out the shock, & nothing was anywhere near hitting. i had a 260# dude jumping on the back while i watched the linkage. so i think it is ok.?

·
Registered
371 Posts
ok i just did it, even though it was midnight, you can see a big difference, ill post up some pics tomorrow, o and does it fell like its bottoms out easier or faster, cause i can push mine down all the way, its looks like its got more but wont go any further.

before

after

you can tell better in real life, it makes it alot lower

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can bottom my shock all the way out & nothing hits, can't try it yet, i am still waiting for my hub to come in (i stripped out the right one) :mad:

·
Registered
66 Posts
WOW, I just went out in the garage and did this. I dont think i would have had to grind it, but i did anyways. Lowered mine about 1.5 inches. What a differance. With the wheel spacers (2.5 rear 1.5 front) and this mod it looks and (we will find out when the snow melts) handles better. Great write up. Thanks again Eric L

·
Registered
371 Posts
prorac1, when you push down on the back on your bar, can you push it down until it stops, if so do you get alot of travel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ride in some VERY ROUGH areas. To make sure I put about 400 lbs of stuff on the quad and leaned on the grab bar. It didnt even come CLOSE to touching. PLEANTY of clearance. Droped it just over an inch or so. Hope this helps. Eric L

·
Registered
371 Posts
wow i must of did something wrong cause my stops and wont go anymore.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did notice that my 01 had a differant set up than the 03 I did this to. The link looked beefier on the 01, beefy enough where i could see that happening. Remember I did grind about 3/8 of an inch off of mine just in case. Ill check again tonite, but it looks fine to me, pleanty of room. Make sure you assembeled the two links properly. Look at the pics in this thread again. Hope this helpl, Prorac1.

1 - 20 of 300 Posts