Raptor Forum banner

281 - 300 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Boelie,
good to see the knowledge being shared round & other people enjoying their quads all round the world.
So, greetings from New Zealand, via an American forum :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ok I read for awhile but then gave up reading :D And I am wondering what will I have to grind on a 03 660r? Because I wanna know before I do it because I don't wanna have it all apart and then find out I have to grind 15 different places. :help:

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Lazy...

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
I have an 01, and i didn't have to grind anything. it is very easy to do.

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
I read till page 17! I am a little lazy but after 17 pages I couldn't tell what I need to grind.

Try just following the first post............mine.
Take the linkage out, put it on the ground & see how it sits with the link flipped, look where it gets close, & go from there.
All I tried to do is show what is involved, & advise what I had to do to get it to work on my bike.
As you will have gathered from this thread, some have had to grind more than me, others nothing.
It is all down to the manufacturing tolerances that the different components are made to.
The only way to do it is try it for yourself.

If you are worried, take the spring off the shock & bolt the suspension up in place, then lower it down till something binds or the shock bottoms out..................
A sharpie is your friend :)

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I read till page 17! I am a little lazy but after 17 pages I couldn't tell what I need to grind.
Lol as dragon said, it's literally in the FIRST post. With PICTURES!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Lol as dragon said, it's literally in the FIRST post. With PICTURES!
There has been people who haven't had to grind anything and I was wondering if that was possible for my model of 660.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
You aren't going to know that until you actually go to do it. It's all manufacturer tolerances, as has been said a number of times. No two bikes are the same, so for someone to say that every single 2003 model is going to have to grind, is inaccurate, and to say that all 2004 models won't have to, is inaccurate. Just go ahead and do the mod and figure out whether yours has to be ground down or not. That's the only way you are going to answer your questions.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You aren't going to know that until you actually go to do it. It's all manufacturer tolerances, as has been said a number of times. No two bikes are the same, so for someone to say that every single 2003 model is going to have to grind, is inaccurate, and to say that all 2004 models won't have to, is inaccurate. Just go ahead and do the mod and figure out whether yours has to be ground down or not. That's the only way you are going to answer your questions.
Ok thanks. That's what I needed to know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey all i just did this modification on my Rappy. It tooks about 3-4 hours, but it was worth it! Now she sits 6 cm lower and now she looks badass :D I would recommend doing this for everyone who want lower his Rappy without buying anything. Here are some pictures of the shock that I grinded a little bit. I think this might help someone. I also grinded a link a little but I didn't photographed, sorry about that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I noticed people saying different things about 01 raptors on here.

With a couple others saying they did the flip with no problems.

I thought I'd chime in. Flipped my 01 with out having to buy the 02-05 linkage and also, no grinding. Definitely need to do some adjusting on the shock, but she's about 2.5" lower :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just for a point of note,
I have an 04 Raptor and all I had to do was grind about 2mm off of the sprue opposite the rebound adjuster. Otherwise it was a perfect fit.
Hope that helps people with the differences in years.
Great forum by the way.
Sean

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey guys slowly gettin my 05 bck 2gether
tried this mod today
the bolts were the shockie bolts on the link rub on the inside of the swing arm

just checkin to see if anyone else had the same problem as to were the bolts are rubbing

cheers guys

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Just flipped mine today... it started out I was just going to clean and grease the linkage but figured I should flip it while its apart.. I only had to grind a little off the opposite side of the rebound adjuster also... I have an 2002 model on a 2001 frame

It sits 2 or 3 inchs lower... just by the looks of it.. closer to 3.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The easiest solution is to get a 02' or up linkage and work with it. Modifying a 01' linkage is not a good move, thats why they changed the design in the first place.

281 - 300 of 300 Posts