Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
prorac1 said:
I did notice that my 01 had a differant set up than the 03 I did this to. The link looked beefier on the 01, beefy enough where i could see that happening. Remember I did grind about 3/8 of an inch off of mine just in case. Ill check again tonite, but it looks fine to me, pleanty of room. Make sure you assembeled the two links properly. Look at the pics in this thread again. Hope this helpl, Prorac1.
i also did the grinding but when i put the whole assembely back on i didnt even look like i needed to grind anything off, when i push it down the shock doesnt even touch the bracket, i dont think it would of touched it even if i didnt grind anything off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If it sat apart for a while perhaps the shock seized up?

·
Registered
371 Posts
apart? i took the whole assembly off as one, same as in the pics, dont see why it would do that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Over tighten the bolts? I.E. Binding? Eric L

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I just did it and man what a huge difference. Dropped the back end of the quad at least a inch and a half if not two. Know I got to get me some 450 shocks and good to go racing! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The 01 has a totally different linkage design. It won't work for 01's flipping it.
The easiest solution is to get a 02' or up linkage and work with it.
Modifying a 01' linkage is not a good move, thats why they changed the design in the first place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed a few potential problems with this setup. First, you need to remove and flip the lower linkage as well, the zerk on the lower link isn't centered, and if you don't flip this part as well, the zerk will hit the bottom of the shock when you compress the rear. I fixed this, then realized that the rear only has maybe 6" of travel now, something else binds up before the shock bottoms out. I ran out of time today to work on it, but I"ll keep you guys posted on this...

·
Registered
497 Posts
I cant believe how many different results there are on this. It seems like half have problems while the other half doesn't. I wonder what the deal is?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
rt said:
The 01 has a totally different linkage design. It won't work for 01's flipping it.
The easiest solution is to get a 02' or up linkage and work with it.
Modifying a 01' linkage is not a good move, thats why they changed the design in the first place.
thanks for that i was thinkin bout doin that but my 01 linkage might not be a good idea to do it with... :unsure:

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
raptorryan said:
I cant believe how many different results there are on this. It seems like half have problems while the other half doesn't. I wonder what the deal is?
Thats why I took the pics.
Seems simple enough once you've seen it done.
I have the same suspension travel as stock, nothing hits or binds, & the bike sits 2" lower & handles 100% better.

The trick is to turn the link over, don't try to turn it end for end, or anything else.
Sit your linkage on the floor, out of the bike complete with shock.
Compare to my pics.
Make it the same as my pics, job done. bolt back in so the same end of the shock bolts in the same place, the same ends of the link & dogbone bolt back in the same places.
It really is not too complicated

·
Registered
497 Posts
I know, I did this about 4 years ago and have never had trouble with mine. It was real easy, I thought.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Im definately doing this tonight :thumbsup:

·
Registered
166 Posts
So do you think i need to grind it?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thats what ill do then... I guess it wont hurt... Just a lil more work

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, finally got around to looking at this. On mine, the bottom of the rebound clicker hits the dogbone. I had to grind both parts slightly to allow them to clear each other. Now it seems good to go...
Kevin

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
pvmtpounder said:
Ok, finally got around to looking at this. On mine, the bottom of the rebound clicker hits the dogbone. I had to grind both parts slightly to allow them to clear each other. Now it seems good to go...
Kevin
You got it.
You'll be pleased when you ride it!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I Have to Ask What the Issue is with The 01 Linkage

RT Says linkage was redone in 02 Models Up now what do i need to worry about in the 01 linkage?

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
The way I understood it the 01 linkage wasn't able to be flipped. I haven't tried it personally though.

You already know what an 01 linkage looks like if you've got it, compare it to the picture that was posted in the first part of this thread and you'll see the difference in design.

21 - 40 of 300 Posts