Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was at SuperStitions in CA, and I decided I was going to fly back to the camp site. So i throttled it and saw one of those berms that are made by people doing donuts for hours and decided to jump it. When I landed I saw the other side of the berm. The steep side. So I hit that pretty fast and went ass over tea kettle. I was bruised up pretty good and had some nice "road rash". My bike broke off the left headlight, left clutch lever and left parking brake lever with housing. The handle bars folded all the way back to the gas tank. Radiator is tweaked but no leaks. And I messed up some plastics.

So I was checking out my bike some days later to access the damage. I checked out the handle bars and saw that all I really needed to do was loosen the bolts and rotate the handlebars right back into place. Bonus.

I bent the plastics and metal holders back into place and JB Welded the headlight bracket that broke. Order new levers

So now it appears that my bike is ready to go out again. So I sat on my bike and turned the handlebars all the way to the right and left. I noticed that the steering stem now contacts just a bit of the gas tank when at full turn on both sides.

Is this the steering stem that is bent? It only slightly touches the gas tank at full turn. Do you think this will be a major issue?

This pic was right after I went down.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
You've either bent the stem or the top hoop that the upper stem mount is bolted to, both are real common in a wreck like you had.
X2 and they usually bend together I would plan on fixing both. I just had the same problem with mine and i bent both. had to get new stem and bend the hoop back.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Yeah or send it to me and I'll rebuild it for ya out of chromoly ;)

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Hope your ok. I guess some new shtuff is coming in the mail thats always fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
once you have all of the plastics off and the tank off, a scissor jack braced against the engine mount works well to push that upper hoop straight again.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
X2 and they usually bend together I would plan on fixing both. I just had the same problem with mine and i bent both. had to get new stem and bend the hoop back.
Will I still be able to ride it or is this something that you should fix prior to?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You bent it good, Is it hard to get the gas cap off?
Its only touching the gas cap in that pic because I have the handle bars turned all the way to the left. I was just showing that when I have it fully turned it touches the cap. It only touches a bit. does not block anything.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hope your ok. I guess some new shtuff is coming in the mail thats always fun.
Yeah, I am ok. I was wearing all my protection. But I did come down hard on my hip. Could not walk well for about a week. My whole left side is still pretty purple.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Will I still be able to ride it or is this something that you should fix prior to?
You can ride it. It will just be annoying when you turn sharp your handlebars will keep hitting your tank. Rode my banshee for years with bent hoop and stem but it didn't bump the tank just made plastic bulge out a little

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can ride it. It will just be annoying when you turn sharp your handlebars will keep hitting your tank. Rode my banshee for years with bent hoop and stem but it didn't bump the tank just made plastic bulge out a little
Sweet. I just hope the next time I take it out, (Pismo this weekend), that there are not other problems that I did not find earlier.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Whats that stuck between the front rails on the crash pic?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts