Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I flipped the middle rear linkage on my se to lower it about two inches. It appears to work fine and doesnt appear to affect shock travel. Has anyone else tried this? What are your veiws on this? made the bike look good and lower center of gravity and only took half and hour, cost nothing!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Did it hurt ground clearance or ride at all? Like does the linkage hang any lower ect?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The linkage does not hang out or anythin. To look at you wouldnt even know it had been changed other than the bike ends up two inches lower approx. It does affect the ground clearance a small amount but i still trail ride with it like that and it causes me no greif. it only takes bout half an hour to do and its free so definatly worth trying before looking at other lowering options. if you dont like it for any reason its real easy to change straight back. Ive done it to all three 700 raptors in our family.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I know you said it doesn't hang any lower, but do you think it'd contact a skidplate that covers the linkage?
That's my main concern, otherwise I'm willing to test it out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think it will effect your skid plate at all. You are only rotating the link 180 degrees and therefore it doesnt hang any lower. If you look at the link you will see that the centre hole that fixes to the swing arm itself is offset. By rotating it you effectively move the pivot point. The position of the bottom link is fixed by the length of the control arm.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I had my rappy lowered with the front and rear lowering kit. It helped the handling and stance ALOT! but it completely disabled the rappy from wheelie's even on the street and I have Duels, intake, programmer, and custom tune!

I took the front lowering kit off the bike and left the rear on, the bike sits a hair lower in the back now but i still looks fine and it can wheelie now a little better, the lowering kit does extend the swingarm over an inch so tis can help in drag racing!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i can probly get some pics of how i flipped the middle link on here if you want

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
hey that would be a hell of an idea. I wouldnt mine trying it but im not too swift with doin things to it cause ive never tried.. Tools needed and some sort of step by step instruction would be very helpful if you wouldnt mind. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
We did this for Ice racing last winter. Didn't have any negative effects but I swapped it back for summer, seems to have better suspension geometry for bigger bumps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To lower bike by twisting middle linkage on rear swing arm.
I just used my socket set and a ring spanner.
first remove skid plate.
put axle stands under foot pegs to lift bike off the ground, if you dont do this the whole bike will drop when you remove the three bolts.
Remove three bolts that hold this link in, you may need a second person to take some of the load off the swing arm so bolts slide out easily.
Turn the link 180 degrees and put back into position.
put three bolts back in and tighten up.
put skid plate back on.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
This was a great trick on the 660's but as Sully said you'll want to keep it in the OEM configuration if you're going to be airing the bike out. I know that it could cause the linkage to bind on the swingarm if you went full compressed travel on the 660, couldn't say about the 700 but it might be something to take a look at.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I'v got a 700 and I didn't have any binding but it would bottom out on bigger bumps. I also didn't need to remove the skid plate, Just tied the grab bar to the rafters and it took about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Idont have any problem with binding either and ive probly done over 50 hours with mine like that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am not quite understanding what yall are talkin about doing.. i was interested in doing it on my 700 but i think i need a visual aid...anyone got any pics? and also, does it affect riding wheelies?? i didnt know if the lower ride height would make it harder to get the front end off of the ground.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts