Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 10 hours on my raptor now, so I'm going to adjust the valves and change the oil/flush the coolant.

First of all, I plan on running Amsoil engine oil, but I'm not sure what type of coolant to use. Are you guys mostly running automotive coolant or some of the special racing ATV coolants or what?

And for the valves, Yamaha indicates .0039 - .0059 for the intake, and .0059 - .0079 for the exhaust. Are you guys sticking to the stock specs or going tighter?

·
Registered
677 Posts
You just barely got 10 hours on your 660???? or are you in the wrong forum?

Anyway... Yamalube is what I use, and I stuck to the stock specs when I adjusted my valves... remember that you are making those adjustments cold, so when it heats up, and things expand, it will soak up that slack. If your valves are too tight, they will leak when it heats up, and you will be down on power, and probably burn your valves over time.

-SS

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, 10 hours (if that, I think it's more like 8 ). I bought it in the fall of 05 and haven't ridden it all year because I moved from one end of the country to the other, and a lot of other stuff was going on. I plan on getting back into it next year.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, well I got the tappet covers off and got the motor set to TDC, I think. The service manual calls for a line on the flywheel, but all I see is a notch on the outer edge of the flywheel, is that what they were referring to?

I set my intake valves quite easily, but damn, the exhaust valves are a biotch. I had to put a 90* bend on the feeler gauge to get it down in the head and it won't slide in... so either they're kinda tight or my engine isn't at TDC (but the intake valves seemed fine). So that's why I'm a bit worried.

And does it take an 1/8" tappet holder? It looks like it but I'm not sure... I have to run to sears to get a few things...

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Yes the mark is on the outer edge of the flywheel behind the small cover just above and to the right of the crank nut cover. There are I and H marks, check your manual for the correct settings and make sure you're on the TDC of the compression stroke when adjusting.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I think I was doing it wrong.

I think I saw the I and H marks, but I was actually lining up with a notch I saw on the outer edge of the flywheel, not the letters. I wonder what that notch is then???

Damn, good thing I checked...

·
Registered
588 Posts
how often should you adjust your valves? :3question:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm doing mine because my motor is just barely broken in (10 hours). I think you should probably check them after every season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts