Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
02 raptor 686 k&n lexx exhaust
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 1st gear broke so I took the case apart. Flywheel was a pita to take off. But my question is flywheel has some grooves inside and on crank, did someone use lapping compound on it?? Also do I need to replace the starter gear on the flywheel like on the 660??

Attachments

· Registered
4,025 Posts
Lapping compound is a fine grit paste for polishing metal/cleaning up rough surfaces.
That crankshaft is galled.
I bet at some point that key broke, as that is the result of the flywheel spinning and wobbling on the shaft, while grinding fine pieces of broken key against it.

· Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha. Will do I have files in the arsenal of tools. Kinda weird how the flywheel doesn’t have anything to tighten it down just gets pressed in place. Man was it a bitch to take out.

· Registered
4,025 Posts
Gotcha. Will do I have files in the arsenal of tools. Kinda weird how the flywheel doesn’t have anything to tighten it down just gets pressed in place. Man was it a bitch to take out.
It's not weird...it's a 'taper lock'.
The nut just draws it into place, and remains as a safety. It is an interference fit, as once in position on the shaft, the i.d of the flywheel and o.d of the shaft are very close in actual size.
This is why you need a puller tool, and why there is a sudden pop when it releases.
It is a very good design.
Be very careful with a flat file on a round surface, and that is a hardened shaft that material will not easily be removed from.
Take your time so you don't put flat spots in it.

· Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not weird...it's a 'taper lock'.
The nut just draws it into place, and remains as a safety. It is an interference fit, as once in position on the shaft, the i.d of the flywheel and o.d of the shaft are very close in actual size.
This is why you need a puller tool, and why there is a sudden pop when it releases.
It is a very good design.
Be very careful with a flat file on a round surface, and that is a hardened shaft that material will not easily be removed from.
Take your time so you don't put flat spots in it.
I have a couple sets of files around. My dad did machining work when I was younger so tools are a plenty in this house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts