Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2003 raptor 660 from a guy a few days ago and it just turned over wouldn’t start well I took the flywheel off and the key was broke in half is my timing off now? Or could I replace and be good to go?

·
Master of the Electron
14,828 Posts
Replace it, red Loctite the nut and torque it to spec - you'll be good to go.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Master of the Electron
14,828 Posts
A common failure when the nut isn't properly torqued/retained.

Let's hope that's it for your issues!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,190 Posts
If the flywheel or shaft are scared up, you can use some valve lapping compound to clean it up some. Just put some on the shaft, then the flywheel without the key, then the nut snug to hold together. Spin the flywheel to dress everything. Clean everything good with brake clean and then assemble with the key. My suggestion would be to use some blue Loctite. But it's best to follow your manual.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She starts right up after I put the key on and torqued it to specs but I couldn’t get the all the screws on the side cover think I’m going to try to heli coil the three that won’t tighten looked like someone did it before me opinions?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,190 Posts
She starts right up after I put the key on and torqued it to specs but I couldn’t get the all the screws on the side cover think I’m going to try to heli coil the three that won’t tighten looked like someone did it before me opinions?
Yes, you could use heli coils or maybe longer bolts would bite in existing threads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts