Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone omne have any opinions on the weather to go with a foam filter or the K&N :3question:. I've always delt witth the foam filters (UNI). I'm going with the Pro Design but not sure which I would gain more. Thanx

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think people here like the K&N non foam...mostly b/c is lasts a lil longer

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Go with the pro design foam system because the K&N system allows way to much in. If you use the K&N, you ahve to clean it all the damn time, it sucks. With the pro design system and the outer wear, you only have to clean every other ride or every 3rd ride. Just me two cents. I have seen a couple of 660 blow up because the K&N allowed to much pass. Later WOOD

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm running a Sparks Dual Foam cleaner with the EHS racing Airbox Cover. It's a nice set up. Keeps the foam pretty clean and doesn't interfere with the settings on my Dobeck.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ive got a K&N, Try a search youll find some good posts. The K&N's are Sooooo much easier to clean than foam. Id rather clean it after every dusty ride than a foam one every 3 rides

·
Registered
200 Posts
LOL!............Please. There's so much mis imformation about K&Ns "blowing up" motors. I've ran 3 open K&N intakes on 3 different quads and NEVER had dirt in my intake.............Never. And I sure as heck don't clean it after every ride............ :crazy:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've run k and n for a while now with no problems at all..... And definately easy to clean. Each to their own i guess.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
W69DY said:
Go with the pro design foam system because the K&N system allows way to much in. If you use the K&N, you ahve to clean it all the damn time, it sucks. With the pro design system and the outer wear, you only have to clean every other ride or every 3rd ride. Just me two cents. I have seen a couple of 660 blow up because the K&N allowed to much pass. Later WOOD
??????? That makes No sence. So by using the foam filter, its somehow being exposed to less dust then the K&N in the same scenario? Why wouldnt you clean them both just as much? K&N's actually filter better once slightly dirty compared to perfectly clean....and they flow a hell of a lot more then a foamy.....not to mention they are WAAAAAY easier to clean, and last forever!!

I have ran K&N's on all my machines. SOme have had extensive motor work, and there was never any evidence of dirt getting in the motor, or premature wear! I ride in ALL conditions including very very muddy stuff to VEEERRRRY dusty conditons. If you oil it properly and run a outerwears or run an airbox lid that uses the outerwears it will be perfectly fine.

That part about having to clean the K&N "all the time" is non-sence! You have to clean it just as much as a foamy. K&N's dont attract more dust then foam :crazy:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree they both need cleaning just as often depending on your riding conditions. But where I disagree from my own experiance k&n does flow better but it will let smaller particles threw than a uni will. The uni has more surface area to catch dirt. I have a k&n on everything I ride and drive but on my raptor I am going to go with the uni on it. My 300 ex that I just blew up a month ago which had nothing to do with the filter had a k&n on it and when i started to tear the motor down I found dirt and dust deposits in the intake tube and a ring of dirt at the carb and dirt build up on the choke plate, after seeing that I am going uni. I think k&n is the best thing for street purposes but on the dirt I dont. Also I dont see where a k&n is any harder or easyer to clean than a foam filter they both take the same steps to clean.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
weewane said:
I agree they both need cleaning just as often depending on your riding conditions. But where I disagree from my own experiance k&n does flow better but it will let smaller particles threw than a uni will. The uni has more surface area to catch dirt. I have a k&n on everything I ride and drive but on my raptor I am going to go with the uni on it. My 300 ex that I just blew up a month ago which had nothing to do with the filter had a k&n on it and when i started to tear the motor down I found dirt and dust deposits in the intake tube and a ring of dirt at the carb and dirt build up on the choke plate, after seeing that I am going uni. I think k&n is the best thing for street purposes but on the dirt I dont. Also I dont see where a k&n is any harder or easyer to clean than a foam filter they both take the same steps to clean.
Foamies filter better....I'll give you that...but at a decrease of performance. If you run an outerwears on the k&N it significantly reduced anything getting threw the filter.
ANY filter is going to let a certain amound of crap threw....but I really dont think the k&N WITH an outerwears is letting much more threw then a foam filter. You probably can toss any difference out the window when you look at how the foamy filters attach to the airbox. Its not a 100% positive seal like a k&N. I have had more crap get threw right there than anywhere else using any filter.
ALSO, in my opinion the k&N is super simple to clean and service. You take it off, spray it down, let it sit, rinse it off, let it dry then re-apply oil.
Foamies you take it off, hands are a mess, spray it down...hose it off while "kneading" it....get more diry, spray it down again...hose it off, ring it out....let it dry, re-oil it and "knead" the oil in.....getting really oily once again, get your race grease out and apply a thin coat to the lip of the foam so it will properly seal against the airbox, getting more greasy/oily...and your done.
yep.....I think the k&N filter is easier....and faster...and a lot less dirty. I always had to use plastic gloves when servicing foamies because short of dipping my hands in acetone, that damn nasty old oil, new oil, and grease would stay on my hands.
ALSO, the foamies will wear out, just because of this servicing process and use. The k&N's will last forever!
The foamies

·
Registered
610 Posts
135boom said:
.... because short of dipping my hands in acetone,
I read acetone will melt skin.... no wait, that's plastic.... errr some plastics... oh forget it :lol:

I run the K&N, but I did read if you think you're going to bury your Raptor in water to go foam because you can rinse it out and go. I don't plan on having my rappy that deep :unsure:

·
Registered
126 Posts
My experience correlates with what most have said.
K&N offers higher flow, but does let more fine dust through.

Which is better for you is up to you.
For me:
1) I live in an area where the dirt and dust contains a lot of extremely abrasive decomposing granite.
2) I tend to keep my vehicles for years and put many, many miles on them.
3) I don't race professionally so don't need the extra .5 hp from a K&N.

Based on those factors, I use foam and only foam. If I lived in the midwest and replaced my toys every couple years, it would be a completely different story.
Data point: A buddy ran a K&N on his dirt bike. After 2 seasons, the carb needle had worn down several thousandths of an inch due to the dust passed by the K&N working like a lapping compound. Switched to foam, never had a problem for the next 5 years.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you ride in extremely dusty conditions I would recommend foam, dunes and the occasional trail ride k&n should be fine. I run a UNI on my 700 and my 660 had a k&n on it when I bought it so I left it on.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I don't race professionally so don't need the extra .5 hp from a K&N.

Exactly. Dust can be a big problem here. I would rather lose a miniscule amount of HP, as opposed to dumping big bucks into a rebuild. Foam is all I have, and will use.

·
Registered
66 Posts
But wouldn't an Outerwears cover on a K&N keep more dust out, compared to a foam filter? Or if one is really paranoid, one could put an Outerwears on the K&N filter, and then a EHS racing airbox lid (which has a very large Outerwears cover on top). In fact, that is what I am thinking about installing... It would become a double Outerwears! Like a condom on top of another, so to speak... A man can never be too careful! :crazy:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Iv'e run them both. I ran K&N with outwear when I had my DS650 and currently run K&Ns and outwears on my twin-carb'd VW sandrail. I generally run foam filters on all my motorcycles and ATVs though.

My .02:

AIRFLOW

- K&N type guaze filters flow HELI amounts of air (when in pristene condition) but they have the worst dirt holding/suspension capacity of any type of filter (by far). Amsoil did a good filter media comparison test a number of months ago that showed all this kind of data. As soon as gauze type filters start filtering dirt their performance drops hard and they also can completely plug up (extreme cases) and leave you stranded.. I have been on trail rides (1/2 day big rides and such) with my neighbor and had to tow him back because his K&N plugged. I've also been at Glamis and had a guy walk into my camp with one completely plugged up asking for us to clean it so he could make it back to his camp. I admit these are rare cases but I've personally seen it happen more than once.

Note: Outerwears. IMO, they are a necessary evil. Although they will catch a little bit of dust it's not their job. Their job is to keep big particles from entering the gauze media. Clots of mud, twigs, and sand grains are what they prevent from packing into the filter itself. Why do I say they're a necessary evil? Because they're an extra expense and do reduce the airflow to your gauze filter to some degree. Most people buy a K&N for max airflow and then immediately put a cover over it. You have to do that though (again IMO).

- Foam filters offer respectable airflow, have great holding capacity, and will not leave you stranded (at least I've never seen that happen in my 25+ years of riding).

MAINTENANCE

Again, I use them both and don't see one being easier to clean or re-oil than the other. With the foam types I keep a small plastic bucket filled with gas that I use to dunk them in, then I rinse with soapy water or simple green, air dry/then oil. With the K&Ns I spray a "special" K&N cleaning solution on them, then rinse out with water, air dry, spray with K&N oil, then wipe excess off the mesh with a paper towel.

Inspection. With a foam filter you pretty much just check for tears and that the glue is still holding the pieces together. With gauze filters you need to check them hard for gaps between the material. I've seen brand new gauze filters come out of the box and when held to sunlight you could see right through them in places (not good). Just need to keep an eye out for any issues before you put them in.

Note: Gauze filters take a slight bit more finesse while oiling, in that you can over-oil/over-saturate one faster. Foam filters are pretty forgiving in this aspect but anyone with experinece shouldn't have an issue with it. With outwears you need to be very careful you do not get any grease on them, you get grease on them they will not flow air through that portion of the media.

COST

K&Ns are generally more expensive themselves and most folks also run an outwear (more $). Some foam filters you can buy pre-oiled and ready for use for way cheap.

SUMMARY

With all that said it pretty much boils down to what YOU want to run. If you run primarily sand or you run primarily by yourself (not eating others' dust all the time), or if you want max airflow for drag racing and such I would say the K&N type is an excellent choice. If however, you want good performance for cheap money over a potentially longer period of time then you might want to go with a foam filter.

Your choice. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts