Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I just purchased a set of new 07 YFZ 450 front shocks, should be here this weekend, before I start the install I wanted to ask you guys a question, or 2.
My machine is an 04 660.
I have read the sticky on install.
1st off I have read the the front will be raised a bit?? if so should I consider a lowering kit before making my cut in the A-arms?
2nd, I see everyone is notching the shocks, why not dremel the shock support to accomidate the shock? will the mount lose its integrity ??
If anyone has more insight to this please help me out.
Thanks again,
John :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Don't grind the shock supports, they're weak enough as it is. And unless you only do flat track or ice racing only, do not use lowering kits. If you do any kind of jumping they are a bad idea.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pewterpecker said:
Don't grind the shock supports, they're weak enough as it is. And unless you only do flat track or ice racing only, do not use lowering kits. If you do any kind of jumping they are a bad idea.
Thanks PP
what makes them weak? bad design??
and yes I will be jumping so thanks for the tip.
John

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pewterpecker said:
No it's not a bad design, it's just not quite over-engineered enough for some of us crazy fuckers. ::)
Thats funny..........do you know any of the members that just did a grind on the bottom of shock so they did not have to even cut the a-arm,
At first I was trying to save the structure of the shock,,this way if I did not like the set-up I could always resell them....but from what I am reading its gonna be full tits.
John

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I didn't... I installed the shocks at the same time I went to aftermarket a-arms so I didn't have to worry about the bottom. For the top I just notched the shock a little bit. I'm pretty sure I did see some pics that someone posted where they just notched the shock instead of the a-arm though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pewterpecker said:
I didn't... I installed the shocks at the same time I went to aftermarket a-arms so I didn't have to worry about the bottom. For the top I just notched the shock a little bit. I'm pretty sure I did see some pics that someone posted where they just notched the shock instead of the a-arm though.
SO YOUR AFTERMARKET A-ARM SET UP ALOLOWED YOU TO JUST MOUNT SHOCKS WITH NO MODING TO THE SHOCK..?
NOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN DOING.
HMMMMM WHAT A -ARMS DID YOU GO WITH??
I WILL BE DOING MX TYPE RIDING, JUMPS, MOGULS....THAT KIND OF STUFF
JOHN

·
Registered
510 Posts
sigman said:
pewterpecker said:
No it's not a bad design, it's just not quite over-engineered enough for some of us crazy fuckers. ::)
Thats funny..........do you know any of the members that just did a grind on the bottom of shock so they did not have to even cut the a-arm,
At first I was trying to save the structure of the shock,,this way if I did not like the set-up I could always resell them....but from what I am reading its gonna be full tits.
John

I ground the bottom of the shock (instead of cutting a hole in the A-Arm) and the upper shock support. Checkout my avatar, I did jumps like that all day on more than one occasion and never had a problem. However, I would agree with Pewter, I wouldn't grind the upper mount for the simple fact that the weakest point will break first and you're riding in rough terrain. Let us know how the install goes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jrichard82 said:
sigman said:
pewterpecker said:
John

I ground the bottom of the shock (instead of cutting a hole in the A-Arm) and the upper shock support. Checkout my avatar, I did jumps like that all day on more than one occasion and never had a problem. However, I would agree with Pewter, I wouldn't grind the upper mount for the simple fact that the weakest point will break first and you're riding in rough terrain. Let us know how the install goes.
[/quot

Hey JR82,
Thanks, how much in your best guess do you think you took off the bottom??
and when you say upper mount is the weakest point, you meaen the upper part of the lower mount right?? i saw from the yfz install post here you need to take a little off the TOP UPPER MOUNT for the top off the shock.......
I know I am asking alot of questions that will come up during mod, just trying to gather as much info to get the right mindset before starting.
Thanks again.
John

·
Registered
639 Posts
pewterpecker said:
well i know a lot of people who grind a little on the liwer shock mount to make them fit and i havent heard of any of the havin problems

·
Registered
41 Posts
sigman said:
pewterpecker said:
SO YOUR AFTERMARKET A-ARM SET UP ALOLOWED YOU TO JUST MOUNT SHOCKS WITH NO MODING TO THE SHOCK..?
NOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN DOING.
HMMMMM WHAT A -ARMS DID YOU GO WITH??
I WILL BE DOING MX TYPE RIDING, JUMPS, MOGULS....THAT KIND OF STUFF
JOHN
I just installed mine with lonestar a-arms had to do nothing on lower shock mounts or shock.on the top had to grind very little to get it to fit.Did both shocks in like 5 min each.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Im getting ready to install mine this week when they get done powder coating the springs and was wondering if anybody has tried heating up the lower arm and just reshaping, rather than cutting a square?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts