Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might wanna keep a close eye on it. :eek: I bought one from RMATV a while back, I am thinking it is a Primary Drive. I don't drag race, speed shift or ride wheelies, just trail ride. I have a sprocket cover, so inspection for me is not that easy.

I didn't think it would last very long when I bought it, but it doesn't have that many hours of use.

Needless to say, there are no more of these in my future.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
You must be have got the lucky one that was defective!! I've never had a problem with any front sprockets to date. (Knock on wood). Not even in my drag quad, and I run a 12 up front.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Tough break, no pun intended.

On the rear I've been switching between a primary 44 tooth and a renthal 42 tooth aluminum all year and the steel is holding up better than the aluminum which is to be expected.

Got one of the primary drive fronts lying around somewhere new in the package. I'll throw it on and keep an eye out.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fortunately, I found this in the garage at home, before it stranded me somewhere, or worse, caused other damage.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Ouch! I have the cheap primary drive 15t on my 780 it's been on their for quite a while now, I just ran out and checked it after seeing that pic. It still looks good and I'm throwing a lot of HP & TQ at it. You got a bad one that's for sure. I'll be keeping an eye on mine now, how long have you been running it?

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been on for about a year and a few months, but the bike pretty much sat for 6 months due to my neck injury.

The rear and the chain look fine.

I know some others than have used these without problem, so I have no real explanation.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm assuming its a primary drive gear, 7.99 from RMATV, I have 3 of them all are in good condition. DO you keep you chain properly adjusted?

·
Registered
468 Posts
That was going to be my question. Is the rear sprocket ok? We recently had a chain and sprocket grenade on us while riding out at Flo-town. Improperly tightened chain was the problem. The yamaha dealer there in Florence did not check the bike through it's range of travel and bam, both sprockets eaten and the chain even broke. Sad part was they had been on the bike for all of about 6 rides. Our fault truly for not checking it after it was adjusted.

Craig,

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I posted above, the rear and the chain look perfect. People who know me will tell you that I am pretty fanatical about maintainance. Chain gets checked for adjustment before every ride.

I can't say what the problem was, my point was to let others know to check a little more often, as I should have done.

·
Registered
965 Posts
type36 said:
Fortunately, I found this in the garage at home, before it stranded me somewhere, or worse, caused other damage.
How did you not notice it on your last ride? That chain would have been popping, slipping, and making all kinds of racket...

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rode in some heavy clay mud the last couple times, some rock content getting wedged in there is a possibility.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts