Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a pair of Fox Float Evol front shocks. Is there valving in those because I read that they didn't require re-valving for different riding styles. I want to know what options I have (raptor 700, yfx 450, honda's, suzukis) If the length is 16.25" do they have enough adjustability to work on my +3 a-arms? I see there are some for the 700's that are 17.25" If someone can give me some more info I'd appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
the 17.25 is long travel you want standard travel if you have stock shocks on your +3's. meaning 16.25. if your buying new you should be able get them valved and springed to your weight and riding style.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to get some used so that I could get them cheaper. I've been keeping my eyes out for Elka's 3 or 4 rates for a while but read that the Float Evol's were as good or better.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I bought a set of stage 3 elka's used from a yfz450. I have been adjusting them a little here and there but they are way better than stock

·
Registered
521 Posts
evol's are adjusted by changing the air pressue, my tucker rocky catalog has the psi settings for different rider weights. the shocks come with a hand pump to put air in or let air out. a new pair is around $1200-1400. my friends predator has a pair of fox podiums on it, nice ride

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fight now I have raptor 700 piggybacks. They are about 15.75" long and make the front of my quad sit too high for my liking. Even with the preload adjusted all the way out, its just too tall (I have a flipped rear link) The reason I really liked the EVOL's over a traditional shock is you can adjust the air pressure quickly for smoother trail or rougher MX style riding. My riding varies so much that I thought it would be easier to just pump more air in or let some out.

So there is no valving? The reason I ask is that I my have a chance to get a set off a long travel kit from a smaller quad. The length is really close but I don't want to get them and have to re-valve them. However I keep hearing and reading that they would need to be re-valved if taken off a smaller quad.

I called Fox and they told me that the air pressure basically adjusts the pre-load and bottom out only but the regular travel is adjusted by valving just like a traditional shock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts