Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the front suspension on my 350. Would you go with the front float Fox air shocks or Elka stage 1's? Or would you suggest something different entirely?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fox: Buttery smooth and infinitely adjustable but require more maintenance.
-on the second page is some info about the float R
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/fox-racing-shox-2009-atv-utv-float-podium-shock-p2.html

-Made some good points in this one. Need constant tuning. Ran a fox air shock on my DH bike and rode like butter but had to check pressure and adjust every ride.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=399554

- http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/ME2/di...0&tier=3&nid=76C68ED3672341A5A763CFE693B34FB9

Elkas: Alot of the reviews say that the stage 1's aren't much better than a stock yfz shock. Revavled yfz's are probably going to better then the stage1's. Mainly because of the lack of adjustment on the stage 1's. The stage 2's are really good but alot more money.

All this should be taken with a grain of salt because they are being reviewed on 450's which have decent shocks factory. Not a 350 that has pogo stick front shocks. Just about anything will be an upgrade.

I vote the fox float R or a set of works shocks. Most people ive talked to say elkas are just rebadged works with a higher price tag. So for the money id say the fox or works.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I'm partial to Elka and Stadium cause they're built 30 min from my place... We have some fellow riders that work at both of these shops and everyone there is very passionate about their work. Most people around here run either of these, we don't see much of the other brands and both have excellent reputations. I have Stadiums myself and they are amazing.

Whatever brand if you go with stage 1 they won't be much of an upgrade over stock Raptor rezzie shocks though (you'll be giving up quite a bit of flexibility in adjustments).

As far as Fox goes I haven't had much experience with them, only time I've seen 'em is as stock shocks on RZR-S' and I've seen a few of them break (the coil, not the body) so I dunno...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I was considering the dual rate works shocks too (found some for about $400 which is around what I want to stay for the price range) The left shock on my raptor is messed up right now, so anything would be an upgrade.

As far as running revalved 450 shocks, I have heard bad things about that because it's supposedly a bad setup, even with long travel A-arms. They're too long to run with stock arms. I haven't heard of stadium shocks but I will definitely look into those. Are they good for cross country/trails?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm partial to Elka and Stadium cause they're built 30 min from my place... We have some fellow riders that work at both of these shops and everyone there is very passionate about their work. Most people around here run either of these, we don't see much of the other brands and both have excellent reputations. I have Stadiums myself and they are amazing.

Whatever brand if you go with stage 1 they won't be much of an upgrade over stock Raptor rezzie shocks though (you'll be giving up quite a bit of flexibility in adjustments).

As far as Fox goes I haven't had much experience with them, only time I've seen 'em is as stock shocks on RZR-S' and I've seen a few of them break (the coil, not the body) so I dunno...
What elkas are you running? I know the upper stages are sick. But the stage 1's would be pretty much "you get what you get" because of no adjustments. But as long as the spring rates are set up correctly for the riders weight then they should be pretty good. (though i know alot of people who buy them and still send them off the get resprung and revalved specifically for their weight and riding style to make them better)

And being that its a 350 raptor, it doesn't have stock rezzie shocks. Only adjustment is the preload collar on the bottom. So most any aftermarket will be an upgrade.

And since they are a fox float, it doesn't have coils being that its an air shock so breaking the coils wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
What elkas are you running? I know the upper stages are sick. But the stage 1's would be pretty much "you get what you get" because of no adjustments. But as long as the spring rates are set up correctly for the riders weight then they should be pretty good. (though i know alot of people who buy them and still send them off the get resprung and revalved specifically for their weight and riding style to make them better)

And being that its a 350 raptor, it doesn't have stock rezzie shocks. Only adjustment is the preload collar on the bottom. So most any aftermarket will be an upgrade.

And since they are a fox float, it doesn't have coils being that its an air shock so breaking the coils wouldn't be a problem.

I'm running Stadiums myself, not Elkas... I bought them used so I don't know what stage they are (their site isn't very descriptive either). I basically have all the same adjustments as a stock 700, so high/low compression, rebound and a screwable preload ring.

A friend of mine is running the stage 1 elka's on his RZR and really likes them over the stockers, but of course the lack of adjustment is limiting. He didn't have the money for the later stages but he's still very satisfied. I personally wouldn't buy shocks that don't have less adjustments that I have now, they each affect the ride significantly.

As far as Fox goes, I wasn't saying their coils are a problem... I'm just pointing out that in my experience they seem to be a bit fragile... If the coils are weak, changes are the rest goes with it. So far so good in my experience, but I haven't been impressed by the company. On the RZR another thing I've seen break MANY times is the retainer ring at the bottom of the shocks.. A friend of mine is a machinist and is selling stronger replacements to fix this issues.. I've seen these fail dozens of times. Not a Fox fan because of these issues, but hey, I know it's a very popular brand, I guess they aren't all bad.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,450 Posts
Love my fox shocks. But they are the float evols, and trust me I've put them through their rounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, fox makes a great product. The evols are sick!

How are the evols about holding pressure and tuning? Do you have to constantly tune them before rides or are they pretty good about that? Do they change pressure depending on the outside temp? I know their air shocks that ive messed with on jeeps and buggies can actually change the ride heights of the rig with temp changes. But i guess being that you can easily adjust the pressure then it wouldn't really matter.

·
4,450 Posts
From week to week they lose a fair amount of psi. I haven't checked them back to back days. Usually ride on a Sunday and it sits till the next weekend lol. But it's not like you have to check numerous times a day. I fill them up in the morning and ride till the night and they are fine.

·
4,450 Posts
On another note there isn't anymore maintanence than a conventional shock. Just have to check psi and service according to the time you put on them just like any other shock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts