Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After thanksgiving, My newly acquired frame is going through the process of having the frame gusseted.
This includes preparing the areas for welding, precutting (or torching-cutting) the metal to fit in certain areas, and welding them. About half of my wheeler is still together in the old frame, which gives a good reference of how things will fit in the to-be gusseted areas. Along the procedure I will be taking pictures for anyone who is curious. I'm estimating about a 10-15 lb increase (at the most) of weight do to the added steel, but gurantee the frame won't break on me ever again. Input from others who have had this done or are going to have this is more than welcome as well as questions from others. :beer:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Im very curiouse on this be nice to see pics. I thought of this the other day while beating out swing arm bolt. How it be nice to have better frame reinforcements, cross bars and such to stiffin the frame.
Please keep us up to date with whats happening.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Good luck and let us know how it turns out. My input is something I'm sure you've already addressed, the weak front shock mounts.

·
Registered
735 Posts
id take some pic if i had a camera that worked (busted mine deer hunting las w/e) the whole front end needs to be strengthend, not just the shock mounts. stock front ends bend very easily. gusset the hell out of those small tubes that the upper a arms are mounted on. I didnt gusset the rear of the frame just in case I wanted to replace my clutch while motor is in frame, also be careful near oil take, esp if it is aftermarket large type....clearence issues there... good luck.

may want to brace sub frame too....I didnt do that yet, may eventually.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info from y'all (in kentucky with relatives for holidays), my frame snapped in two in the most unlikely spot, I'll take a pic and show ya.. don't feel like explaining exactly where. It was a perfect clean snap though. It could of been mistaken as a cut at first glance. Problem is after it snap, the continued momentum pretzel'd the frame in. Frame is pretty much junk, it would cost more to straighten, stress relieve, and weld then it would to get a new one.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly...once its hit-up, it'll never be the same.. well it might be close, but I'd feel better with a new frame.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the break in my frame, the 2 black circles which encircle two big dents are a result of me trying to straighten the frame, before I realzed it was seriously F**ked up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first two pics were 1.5-2 years ago...before the frame breakage(motor and frame). I used automotive paint and some powder coat..this year its all powder coating. The next pic is what I'm riding till the rappys up on her feet again (suzu 500 w/26" meats).

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
hmm that looks familar.done that :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out Tarantula Performance Racing's gusset kit for the 660. Go to www.tprusa.com, click on products, scroll down to frame gusset sets and click on "learn more." It will show you pics of the gusset kit installed in my frame pre-powdercoat. Since the install, I flipped my quad end over end twice (cased two different doubles, not my fault, but that's another matter) and have done more damage in terms of bending the RPM subframe than the stock, gussetted front frame rails.

TPR's gusset kit also gussets the main frame rail connecting the top and bottom rails to which the oil tank reservoir bolts. You can also check out TPR on Sponsorhouse.com.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have all of the steel already, neighbor has welder, and plasma cutter (lucky me..have a welder that lives on one side of me, and a machinist that lives on the other).. I just need to get the pieces and supports cut out. After I pay up with a few cases..its cut and weld time.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this is part one of the frame gusseting...
This is from scratch, no gusset kit is being bought from online.

Getting the new frame, look it over, cleaning it up and marking it out for probable gusset locations.
1st pic of new frame (used obviously)
Yes, its still dirty in this pic

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
just a little help rt but can the nieghbor do it with a mig or tig ,or worse case wire feed keep those welds clean ,important to give her all the strenght when you have a great suspension like that around upper shock mounts and behind and all the way around sub frame mounts! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whats up mike? Neighbor sure can weld it, give him enough beer and he'll weld anything..??? Should re-word that..Pay him off with enough beer and he'll weld anything you need welded.. besides he's been welding for a long time.. He has a industrial lincoln welder, can weld 3/8" steel plates together easily. More than enough power for what I need it for, he also has mig/tig welders all over the place in his garage, one specially designed for titanium???? anyways, I'll be taking pics for ya while I'm doing it. That way if something don't like right to you , you can give me some feedback.. later bro..

·
Registered
211 Posts
cool rt ,yey i think iv'e broke the frame in 20 different spots over the years!got the LTR all studded up,lowered swaybar on and ready to roll for ice but now we have 40 degree weather ,dam get me all excited about ice whit this cold and now [email protected]*!** :crazy:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I kinda put that on halt for now, I'm working on my motor for a little while now, and trying to get rid of all that extra stock stuff laying around. I'll skip back to the frame sometime this week.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm in the process of preping the frame (removing the paint and roughing it for the gusseting) the pictures show the most likely areas where the frame will be strengthened.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.