Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!! Just wonderin if anyone out there has pictures of a completed frame that has had gusseting done. I am building a quad from scratch and have some long travel a-arms and elka triple rates and I know before long I will be jhumping this thing. I have the frame stripped down to nothing and my other quad for referance to clearance issues on the gussets. I want to take the precautions now so I don't have to tear this unit down again to repair a crack or broken frame, especially after the painting or powder coating is done. Any pics at all would be great. Thanks alot

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
heres some pics of my frame broken. this frame was straightened and rewelded using 4 thin metal plates around the break and they were ground down after ward to improve the look. the steel tube had to be mildly heated to relieve stress after bending. Heres 3 pics to show the progression.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That must be the spot by the sub frame people have been talking about!!! thanks alot for the pics!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
thats where my 03 cracked, and thats basically how i fixed it. prolly this next winter, i'll tear everything down to gusset/lighten/strengthen my frame for my 260# lard butt.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
heres some pics of some gusseting I had completed.
I showed where the most common places for gusseting in yellow, and red.
The red on the second to last pic indicates places that don't need to be gusseted but some said they did it anyways. the yellow were the most common points of gusseting.. I'm sure more people will chime in with some more and possibly better info about this! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
nitrotmann said:
thats where my 03 cracked, and thats basically how i fixed it. prolly this next winter, i'll tear everything down to gusset/lighten/strengthen my frame for my 260# lard butt.
Hows the frame been holding up since then?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
It would be a good idea, but I would need some more info on what works, what doesn't, how well have the gussets been holding up, better places to gusset, and where not to gusset..better to get some info from others point of view so if I am flawed somewhere it can be ironed out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
rt said:
heres some pics of some gusseting I had completed.
I showed where the most common places for gusseting in yellow, and red.
The red on the second to last pic indicates places that don't need to be gusseted but some said they did it anyways. the yellow were the most common points of gusseting.. I'm sure more people will chime in with some more and possibly better info about this! :thumbsup:

Pretty much the whole thing :lol:. I did those particular along with the front shock mounting brackets and a few others, I'll be finishing it up this weekend.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thanks for all the replies the guys. I got the low down on the trouble spots and I will see what I can come up with, I will be powder coating my frame in a couple weeks. I will post pics of my frame after gusseting is done and before and afters of the powder coating. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
761 Posts
A spot you might want to watch. Right where the footpegs bolt up at the weld. Mine jsut crakced this past weekend on both sides. Its probly cracked in a few more places jsut havent seen them yet. Now im goign to tear it all down and gusset everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
hey rt who gusseted your frame and how much did it cost that's my next mod, frame and new plastics.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I fabricated the pieces and my brother welded them.
I've never seen a frame crack or break in that particaulr spot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts