Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a killer deal on a mig welder ($250) so I will start gusseting my frame and who knows what else I will make?? I just got to get a bottle of gas and wire a 230V plug and I will be ready to weld anything, will need to play with alumnium to get the hang of that but it has a push/pull feeder so it will mig that stuff too :eek:

I am very happy!!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Mig welding is cake! Aluminum is a little more difficult than mild, but practice a bit and you'll have no problem.

Why are you gusseting your frame?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the cracks that I repair dont break again :grin_nod:

Desert racing takes a serious toll on stock components :thumbsup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say yes, mine has cracked near the upper motor mount just under the fuel tank, and around shock mounts, and on the side near the counter shaft area of the frame.

·
Registered
211 Posts
in 4 yrs of racing mx weakest point are the shock mounts need to be gusseted ,both tubes around where sub frame mounts to frame, sub frame itself especially silencer side,and like wrwagon said upper motor mont exaust side tig or mig are 100 time cleaner than arc ,when welding aluminum needs to be clean and the right amperage so important ,mind you i'm an A rider so normal trail riding does not require gusseting need to do your own work dont realy make gusseting kits for rap ,but you ride hard and you will need some especially if you run extended rims or crazy enough to jump with lowering kits!just regusseted frame this last race season and repainted and mid season case 70footer out of a corner in practice that nobody was doing trying to get advantage for the quadolypics and cased it bammm! 4 cracks in frame 1 sub,2 around main frame where sub frame connects and 1 on motor mount!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts