Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2008 700r. The steering stem had about 1 inch of up and down play. Upon further inspection the nut had either not been tightened by the previous owner because the threads were bad or it backed off and just beat the threads in. Is there any way to fix these threads? I think if I tried a regular tap it would bottom out before it was able to cut new threads if that was even an option.
Wheel Tire Eye Automotive tire Liquid

Attachments

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
You would need a bottom tap, not a standard tap, also very expensive in that large of a size.
Possibly a local machine shop may have one and may attempt to fix it.
But even then there may not be enough material there to get any decent threads.
If you don't have the resources to fix it correctly(it looks bad), then options are few.
Replace the frame, a few hundred plus your time.
Or, at this point, I would use a small file and clean up the threads the best as I could.
Replace the nut if it is damaged, and if you can get the nut to get tight, or at least to the correct depth, by threading or just any downforce, then I would tack weld it on both sides.
There is very little up/down force applied to the steering stem aside from your grip.
Welding would hold it, the temporary heat near the bearing wouldn't ruin it, and the steering bearing typically has a long life, and is usually worn out by wet conditions before use anyway.
Without alot of options, welding will be the cheapest and easiest solid repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would need a bottom tap, not a standard tap, also very expensive in that large of a size.
Possibly a local machine shop may have one and may attempt to fix it.
But even then there may not be enough material there to get any decent threads.
If you don't have the resources to fix it correctly(it looks bad), then options are few.
Replace the frame, a few hundred plus your time.
Or, at this point, I would use a small file and clean up the threads the best as I could.
Replace the nut if it is damaged, and if you can get the nut to get tight, or at least to the correct depth, by threading or just any downforce, then I would tack weld it on both sides.
There is very little up/down force applied to the steering stem aside from your grip.
Welding would hold it, the temporary heat near the bearing wouldn't ruin it, and the steering bearing typically has a long life, and is usually worn out by wet conditions before use anyway.
Without alot of options, welding will be the cheapest and easiest solid repair.
Thank you sir. Those are all good options. I am going to try and clean the threads up and see if I can get the nut to hold. When the time comes again I will be ready to purchase a frame. Where would I find one for a couple hundred though? New oem ones are 1700 and used ones on ebay are going for about 1000

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I have seen alot of frames for $200, $300, and $400 on ebay.
There may be nothing now, but keep checking.
Look on craigslist and Facebook Marketplace too.
I don't have FB, but you can see MP without being a member.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts