Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TAG +1 stem and after the last two rides it has gotten free play. Forward and backward and side to side. I tore down the bike and checked the welds they seemed fine so I tightened the clamp withthe rubbers bushings a little more and this stopped it until about and hour into my next ride. What to do???? Has anyone had issues like this?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I was afraid to tighhten mine too much but mine is now loose and needs to be retightened.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hey guys you might want to check into this also. I had a LoneStar racing stem and experianced the same thing you are. All I did to fix it was to tighted the large nut at the bottom of the stem and reset the cottor pin. Might want to give this a try to see if this helps.

-Johnny

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The nut at the bottom is tight as it gets. I am not sure what else to do because I tightened the top ones agian and it stops it but I can't tear down the bike after every ride to tighten the two bolts at the top of the stem.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Just finished mine and all were loose. But mine was because it was just rebuilt.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Are you guys folding down the locking tabs on the bolts that run though the clamp. They are on the top and and outsides of the bolts. These are supposed to keep them from getting lose. Basically it is just a flat peice of metal that is between the bolts and the clamp and it has tabs that you had to bend up to get the bolts out.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tabs are folded down. Botls are not loose but there is play in the stem at the top where the rubber bushings / clamp is. I was thinking about Gusseting the frame up where the stem is supported at the top. I also ordered new rubber bushings. We will see. i will update this weekend when I tear it down and fix it. I may tear down the entire front end and make sure there is nothing worn, loose, or cracked.

·
Registered
689 Posts
hmmm, interesting. Well i know that clamp is some kinda composite material. Maybe you have just worn it out. I know last time i bent a stem i rode with it bent for the rest of the day. Took it apart and noticed that the inside of the clamp looked like i had taken some 40 grit sand paper to it. I am sure the mud and random small rocks/sand had nothing to do with it. :lol: But i guess what i am saying is that you may need to replace the clamp too. Hope ya get it figured out.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the route I am taking just picking peoples brains. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts