Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys it finally happened. the old scratched up white plastics finally bothered me enough that i took matters into my own hands lol. now its deff not perfect as i didnt want it to be knowing its a apaint job going onto a quad thats getting riden not shown but i do like the way it turned out now just to hope it stays! lol solet me know what yall think thanks!

Before

After

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
heres the hood done up on the old white fronts for kicks lol

the hood after fresh paint

and one last good full shot

dont be afraid to give me yalls opinions. might be blacking out some more stuff tonight and if i do ill get some pics posted asap

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Nice. How was the prep work? Did you sand em down first? Use primer? Just regular old spray paint? Looks professional. Good job!

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Looks good. I was wondering the same thing as x660x. I'm looking at doing my toper and hood but don't know which way I wan't to go yet.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Looks good. I was wondering the same thing as x660x. I'm looking at doing my toper and hood but don't know which way I wan't to go yet.
I'm curious. Would like to do my topper, grill, and back fenders.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Gotta love black and blue Raptors like that! :D

Prep work for using REAL automotive paint.

Clean and scuff GOOD plastics with grey scotch brite
Clean with destaticer
Apply adhesion promoter
Apply 2 part primer
Wet sand with 400 grit
clean with destaticer
base coat w/ flex additive
Clear coat w/ flex additive
wet sand and buff imperfections

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
^ In that case, I better take mine to the pros. Unless, you are willing to give some pointers? Hand sander? Which grade paper? Sequence/different grades? I have an extra set laying around I want to experiment on.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
^ In that case, I better take mine to the pros. Unless, you are willing to give some pointers? Hand sander? Which grade paper? Sequence/different grades? I have an extra set laying around I want to experiment on.
Show and Shine quality you take it to the pros. If you just want a different color and don't care about quality you can go with Krylon Fusion in a can. If you don't own a decent HVLP paint gun and water strainer.... just go to a shop

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol way late to the party been really busy. a;; i did guys was clean the plastics with a green scotchbrite pad (maron on the rough parts) then i uses bull dog adhesion permoter then a flexible plastics primer. i worked at a parts store at the time so i bought automotive touch up paint in a sdpare can and buzzed it then hit it with the clear made for the touch up pant. easy as pie cost me right around 100 bucks and looked really slick

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
This is good news. I would really like to do that to my blue plastics and black my bike right out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah the key is the bull dog adhesive promoter and the flexible primer. those in combo with good prep work and i can bend the fender all the way down with no cracking. i also think the basecoat clear coat helped alot as an enamel (like i used on the bottom side) will crack and flake

1 - 12 of 12 Posts