Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of changing the sprockets on my 05 Raptor and I was wondering what the best setup for front and rear would be for drag, and vicaversa for trails?

·
Registered
735 Posts
12 i nthe front would loose top speed. Id go for a 14 in thte front, makes your gears a little longer and less shifting. The motor is pleanty powerful to pull a 14, esp with mods. 12 tooth is ok to lug around in the woods

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
go 13 tooth (especially for your set up) if you don't like changing you sprocket all the time. It'll give you the best of both trail riding and drag racing w/the stock rear.
I have about 6 different sprockets between the front and rear, I like changing them out depending on where I ride. Unless your running 22" tires in the rear, Don't get the 12 tooth.

I recommend experimenting with the 14 tooth and see how you like it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
rt....have you run the 14 tooth and stock rear? how do you like it? I feel like I top out in 5th and still have more power on tap. Does the bike still accell like hell with the 14? I dont want to kill my bottom end too much.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
For my 660- I like to run my 14 primarily where the terrain is open, or on long trails (that aren't curved). I sometimes run my 22's with it when I want a little more clearance in the rocky trails. It has a real good punch in the midrange but wheres off quickly after 4th gear. I've done my own experimenting and found that I run best acc. times with a 13-39, 20 inch rears. I can top out a little quicker in 5th gear with the 13 than with the 14, but with the 14 I have higher top speed, just a little longer to get there. Another issue that could be addressed is the weight on the quad, I weigh about 190-200lbs. I have about 25lbs more of aftermarket armor on my pig to add..nerfs, bumper, skids,..ect.. If your quad has no armor, and you're a lighter rider..lets say 160-170, you just shed about 50-60 lbs off the bike. that would be a better power to weight ratio. Could be enough to effect how you gear your bike.

To answer your question directly, a 14 tooth will do you good, go another size bigger (15 or 16) and with out engine work the bike will accelerate like a riding lawn mower.....well almost!

everthing I wrote is assuming that you have at least a pipe..jetted..filter..ect

·
Registered
90 Posts
on my mostly stock raptor i had a 14 tooth on the front when i bought the quad but after riding it around my house and racing with some of my friends i thought that i wanted to gear it down b/c they were keeping up off the line a little even though i have a much larger atv. i didnt want to loose all of my top speed b/c i like to drive down gravel roads so i went 13 in the front and 33 in the back i still have a good top speed of like 70 75 with the few mods i have but the difference in bottom end torque it amazing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.