Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've been searching the site and have not found the answer I was hoping for. Thought this may be a common porblem. The problem is I get this wierd speed wobble out of the front end when I'm going down a steep dune. The best way I can describe it is it's like a speed wobble on a motorcycle but the bike kind of just rocks form side to side. I have all stock suspension on my 07 700 no piggyback, and the spring backed all the way out to the softest setting. I weigh about 210 and am a fairley aggresive rider but don't do any big jumps. Just little 4-6 ft pop ups off razor backs. I like the soft setting to saok up the chop in the dunes. The rear is dialed and works great. Soaks up the little chop and still takes the landings. Any thoughts on what could cause this speed wobble? Trying to avoid buying new shocks, especially if that's not the cause of the problem.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey guys,
I've been searching the site and have not found the answer I was hoping for. Thought this may be a common porblem. The problem is I get this wierd speed wobble out of the front end when I'm going down a steep dune. The best way I can describe it is it's like a speed wobble on a motorcycle but the bike kind of just rocks form side to side. I have all stock suspension on my 07 700 no piggyback, and the spring backed all the way out to the softest setting. I weigh about 210 and am a fairley aggresive rider but don't do any big jumps. Just little 4-6 ft pop ups off razor backs. I like the soft setting to saok up the chop in the dunes. The rear is dialed and works great. Soaks up the little chop and still takes the landings. Any thoughts on what could cause this speed wobble? Trying to avoid buying new shocks, especially if that's not the cause of the problem.
Out of balance front tires is most likely causing your problem, bent rim could also cause this.............

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Might want to check the wheel bearings. But if it was the bearings it would wobble everywhere not only at top speed. It sure would be more noticeable at full woot! I would check em before the wheel goes bye bye. Better safe than sorry...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
and slime also causes this but at WOT.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Yamaha didn't have my tie rods tightened the all they on ball joints. After I tightened them up shimmy went away hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
If the wheel is bent take a look at it when your riding you should see it wobbling back and forth. What kind of tires are you running? I know on my woverine I notice my axle is bent on the street but on the dirt it's fine. Maybe with the sand it's causing it to be more noticeable. For shocks used 700se piggybacks for cheap I found mine for less than 200 and would be a big improvement over the pogos (just a thought).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for you responses. No bent rims, jacked up and spun tires and pulled wheel all directions, weighted and unweighted. Bearings seem fine, no noise/play. Stock front tires. Never used slime (never even had a flat on these). No extra play in balljoints/tie rods. Don't think wheels are out of balance because it only happens when front end is under load going down a dune face. Not just a little shimmy but a violent wobble. I know, it's wierd! Oh, never been crashed and I am the original owner. Just hopping someone else had run across this issue. Might try some used se shocks, thanks for that idea 700scott. Thanks again to you all.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
What about your alignment? if its toed in too much your front wheels will fight each other and pull you around as if you are suck in somone elses ruts. the right will grab and when you correct it the left will grab. my bike does this on the road if I let off the gas too hard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Tommy, That's not a bad idea. I have not checked tow in/alignment. Now that you mention it my front end was kind of "catching some groves". I just attributed it to the fact that the sand was extra soft last weekend. It just didn't do it all the time but it's worth checking. Thanks again.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Afx or somebody built a flag stem or something another to fix this seen in an old link believe Chris posted it I'll look

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Spider. At this point I'm really stumped. My alignment looks good but I need to get a better measurement on it. I'm sure it's nothing that a long travel kit and some new shocks wouldn't fix, but I've got too many other projects going right now to lay down the cash. Anybody know what the proper amount of tow in is?

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's in the manual but its some where between 1/2inch to 1inch toe (in). I wonder if your soft spring weight is causing issues when you are going down a hill. That would shift all your weight forward, 210 is big for softies... Maybe try spanning it up a few clicks and run a hill?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tow in specs ThoR-700. Good idea on the springs, I'm gonna crank down the springs a couple of notches and see what that does. At least I can maybe narrow down the issue before I go pop for new shocks. Gotta get out to the dunes quick, it's getting hot in the dez. Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts