Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked all over the sand tire threads and can't find any info on front sand tires. Any input on what type works best? From what I can see there is the straight ridge, curved ridge, dual ridge, and the serated ridge designs. I plan to ride the Oregon dunes.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Stock fronts and rears have worked fine for me at Coos Bay, Ore. I may get a set of rear paddles for next time just so I can throw more roost but will run with stock fronts unless I can get a killer deal.

In my opinion front sand tires are front sand tires unless you are going to be involved in professional competition or are worried about what others think about how your quad looks. I think of it as saving money on two tires and two wheels (you'll have to buy those too).

·
Registered
899 Posts
Well in my vast experience of one three day weekend on the coast I liked my AMS diamond tracks. My buddies that took me over were saying “why did you get those” and “you don’t need those”. These guys go almost every free chance they get so I was having second thoughts, but for 70 bucks I figured they couldn’t hurt. Long story short I liked them, they tried them and they liked them enough to order them….I didn’t run haulers but we put them on one of the other 700s with haulers and they helped the handling quite a bit. The diamond tracks are directional…light too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well I have both Sand Stars and Mohawks. I think the Mohawks turn a bit better, but then again it might just be the Hauler helping out a bit.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The stock front tires are worthless if you've got straight paddles (Haulers) on the back. The Haulers want to push you forward even with the bars turned. I went with the Sand Star fronts and couldn't be happier. I was actually able to steer (predictably) at high speed again.

I've also run the Dune Tracker (single angled rib) fronts, and they do a good job, but the dual rib feels a lot better.

I run the 22x8x10 Sand Stars on 6" wheels (as opposed to the standard 5" wide front wheel). This gives my front end a about an inch more width on each side and makes it a nice stable ride in the sand.

xamdude...if you are in the Portland area (I'm guessing since you said you're riding the Oregon Dunes), the best place to go for tires and tire info is SMI Motorsports in Oregon City...they've got a very well stocked inventory, and Dave the owner will set you up right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm actually in Eugene. I thought that the dual rib looked the best, but I know that what looks like it will work best isn't always the best.
Thanks for all the info so far.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ive got sand stars with an offset rim and i wouldnt go any other way. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The front Sandstars work great, and IMO turned better with my extremes on the back than the stockers or a cheap set of single ribs.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My buddy and I both have the sandstars on the front and we both like them. They do have a tenancy to follow other tracks. If you are going to do a fair amount of sand riding get some ribbed tires for the reason that the stock tires pick up and throw a lot of sand and will eventually sand blast your foot pegs, front of rear fenders and other assorted parts. Not to mention, they turn better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I run the Sand Star paddles and just upgraded to the Sand Star fronts. They did make a significant improvement over running the stock fronts. They are predictable and hold the line better now. Also, most the ITP packages they offer are with offset wheels, which widens your track a bit. Give em a try!

DJ

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
nwquadriders said:
The stock front tires are worthless if you've got straight paddles (Haulers) on the back. The Haulers want to push you forward even with the bars turned. I went with the Sand Star fronts and couldn't be happier. I was actually able to steer (predictably) at high speed again.

I've also run the Dune Tracker (single angled rib) fronts, and they do a good job, but the dual rib feels a lot better.

I run the 22x8x10 Sand Stars on 6" wheels (as opposed to the standard 5" wide front wheel). This gives my front end a about an inch more width on each side and makes it a nice stable ride in the sand.

xamdude...if you are in the Portland area (I'm guessing since you said you're riding the Oregon Dunes), the best place to go for tires and tire info is SMI Motorsports in Oregon City...they've got a very well stocked inventory, and Dave the owner will set you up right.
Haulers are designed for straight-on drag racing though, aren't they? The point I was trying to make is that most any tire will work; each is designed for a specific purpose.

I've yet to need anything more than stock tires and have covered many types of terrain. Would I want more than a stock tire? Probably, once the ones I have wear down enough. Until then it's money I could spend on other things. Guess I'm one of those mod-the-hell-out-of-it-after-the-working-parts-you-just-paid-thousands-for-stop-working-type guys.

For non-competition riding most anything will work. If you want to change wheels for different terrain each time you go riding go for it. I look at it like this: Even the Dakar rally guys use variants of knobbys. You can't get much more extreme and diverse than that.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The sandstar tire work great with my haulers. I can park going up a dune and start going again without sinking. I can dune all day long with this combo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts