Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of 06 yfz front piggyback style shocks about a month ago.... i now have the chance to buy a set of 07 raptor 700 SE piggyback style shocks..... also can buy the Elka Recreational series shocks w/OUT the reservior.....

The elkas are setup rider specific.... they will be set for my weight and riding conditions...
I weigh around 290 lbs....

Which front shocks do you all think i should go with ? ? which are going to be the best.... i only trail ride...

elkas w/out reservior , 06 yfz shocks, or 07 raptor 700 SE shocks ? ? ?

thanks Plattner

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I would go with the Elka's because they will be set up perfectly for you!!! Of course they do cost more than the others!! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea these elka shocks retail for a little under $500.....

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you trail ride, you can eliminate the SE shocks. Your not gonna encounter the hi speed compression capabilities for your riding style.

Your heavier than the average rider, so the 450 shocks are not gonna be optimum for you.

I would say get the Elkas built for your riding requirements.

·
Registered
126 Posts
go with the yfz fronts I have them,Im a big boy and I love them

Here's a pic of me on my bike....Whos says big boys cant jump?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
At 250 I would go aftermarket. For that price range I would look at non res TCS over the Elkas.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some ppl complain abt the yfz shocks lowering the front end.... and since i trail ride, i think i need that ground clearence....

TCS ? ? ? - why do you think TCS is better than Elkas ? and also i am getting a big discount on the elkas, bcs there is a whole group of my friends buying them...

Plattner

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
TCS has a better rep. than elka's...

However, sometimes Elka sends out shocks that are 100% good ! just taking a gamble every time you order from them.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am pretty sure i have made up my mind.... i have gotten some great advice from everyone tho.... but a guy that i feel knows a bunch about our atvs and has given me great advice in the past... told me to stick with the YFZ shocks that i already have.... So thats what i am going to do.... I can gain that inch of drop back by tightening up the perload on the YFZ shocks.....
After putting some hours on the yfz shocks, if i dont like them then i will check more in to the elkas or TCS....

thanks for all your alls help.,
Plattner

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
plattner said:
Some ppl complain abt the yfz shocks lowering the front end.... and since i trail ride, i think i need that ground clearence....

TCS ? ? ? - why do you think TCS is better than Elkas ? and also i am getting a big discount on the elkas, bcs there is a whole group of my friends buying them...

Plattner
You mentioned no res Elkas. For that amount of money you will get a better / more capable set of shocks from TCS IMO. Elkas high end shocks are nice but their lower end shocks are not the greatest. Again that's my opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you take a little time to research adjusting how to adjust the shocks than you can make the yfz shock ride jsut as well as the elka if not better. As far as the new SE shock I thought that I read somwhere that they have 3 adjustments, allowing you to adjust spring tension(height) compression and rebound where the old yfz'z do not have the rebound adjustment.
I myself ran the yfz's and couldnt complain I weigh in at 230-235 with gear, I switched them for black widows to get the high and low speed compression adjustment for GNCC

·
Registered
429 Posts
The YFZ's will be the least expensive up grade but if you can find a set from the 07 SE's you'll get better performance for a little more money. I've got the 06 YFZ's now they are indeed a good upgrade! I was able to get a smok'n deal on a set of WORK's black widows that I couldn't pass up. I know the elka's and the ohlins are the best but I think I can adjust my riding style to save $500.00 or better to be used some where else..lol Now if I where to the a-arm and axel set up I would choose nothing but the elka's.

·
Registered
118 Posts
yea for sure the SE shocks are premium their bad ass, but I really want to stick to the ground , dial my weight in and run the piss out it with one less worry, Their so nice I am having my real shock rebuilt with more of a spring on it factory ones are week for big riders!!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
go with the yfz shocks and call tcs and they can rebuild the shocks just for you and your weight and it will help a lot :thumbsup:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Get together with KB Motorsports and see what kind of a deal he can make you on the TCS shocks. If they are close to the Elka's price...go with the TCS's.

Other than that...the SE shocks are much better than the YFZ's :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
king1313 said:
go with the yfz fronts I have them,Im a big boy and I love them

Here's a pic of me on my bike....Whos says big boys cant jump?

[/color]
Nice Pic! The only thing that could make it better if you had a Helmet on!!! Keep havin fun!

"Other than that...the SE shocks are much better than the YFZ's"

I dont think so! SE and YFZ shocks are nearly the same from what i understand

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If I were in your situation, I would send the YFZ shocks out to TCS or whoever to get setup exactly for you.

I'm in a similar situation, only I have the SE shocks on my GYTR.

I'm going to do the rear first but I'll eventually send 'em all out to TCS to be valved / sprug for my weight & needs.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya i just sent out my front yfz shocks and my factory rear shock to I-SHOCK to get redone... fronts are just getting re-sprung and the rear is getting revalved..

Plattner

·
Registered
644 Posts
Jdog said:
go with the yfz shocks and call tcs and they can rebuild the shocks just for you and your weight and it will help a lot :thumbsup:
+2

I wouldnt dream of buying a non resi shock, like me; get a used pair of yfz's on ebay ($250) send them to TCS for revalving (may not even be needed) and if you need springs, they can do a triple rate conversion with revalving for about $500.

Altogether, for $750, this is a race ready setup that will perform right alongside the elka elites. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts