Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a raptor with +3 LT gibson arms and quad rate remote elkas. Right now I am in the process of switching this entire setup onto my currently built raptor. However tonight I noticed that the elkas were not rebound adjustable. The guy I bought the quad from was roughly my size or maybe +30lbs. Assuming the long travel shocks are set up for my weight are they going to be as big of an upgrade as I was thinking from the 700se shocks on standard trabvel +3? The 700 se shocks were rebound, hs/ls compression, and preload adjustable where the elkas are just long travel with preload and compression with quad rate springs.

Also for the rear would I be better of doing the 700 piggyback shock, 700 linkage and 660 dogbone or a good shock? I've been reading and I found a thread that claimed the 700 shock mod was better than an elka rear because it offered more travel. Not sure if it is true or not so I wanted to consult with everyone else first.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
If you are riding race tracks and adjust your shocks every 5 minutes, you're going to miss the rebound. If you're more like me and haven't touched a shock setting on your bike since you got them dialed in when you first got them, then you're not missing out on anything. Adjustments are great, they allow you to alter the performance/function for different applications. But if the guy building the shock gets the rebound right the first time and you don't go from an MX track one day to a dune the following weekend and a set of trails the next then you're not likely to notice or care, or at least I don't. The next set of aftermarkets I buy probably won't have rebound adjustment on them. Plenty of people might need it, I don't. And if the rebound is setup correctly for the type of riding you are doing then the performance is no different than if there was a little knob there that you weren't turning.

More travel is fine, but that doesn't make the performance of the shock any better. A stock 700 shock is still a stock rear shock, and without a rebuild of better internals it's not as good as an aftermarket regardless of the minute increase in travel. That said, I've only ever run 660 shocks on the rears of mine so I can't say how they feel on a 660. I can tell you that even a rebuilt 700 OEM shock is better than a stock 700 shock on the back of a 700 though. And my wiig setup Elka rear was quite nice on my 660.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK. I kind of figured that as I really haven't touched the adjustments on the shocks since the first week or one time when I went to the MX track (which I won't probably ever do again). Pretty much all of my riding is going to be trails from now on.

Maybe I will get a 700 rear link and shock and try it out. Or would I be better off having my current stock shock rebuilt with better internals and dual rate springs?

·
Registered
865 Posts
There are some guys that say they got 13 inches of travel with the correct setup. 700 shock and a combination of linkage parts from both bikes.
I have a rebuilt stock shock on mine. I am pretty happy with it and it didn't break the bank

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the stock travel 11"?

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I ordered a 700 linkage and 700 SE rear shock yesterday. From what I have read it is the 700 shock (which is hs/ls, preload, rebound adjustable), 700 rear link with 660 dogbone that works very well.

Does anyone want pictures of the process/results if I take the time to post them?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts