Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front tires on my '06 700 are cambering outwards (top of tire leans inward from the bottom of the tire). Anyone know what may allow this to happen? I had heavily dented lower A arms but replaced them a couple years ago. Uppers look fine.

One thing I noticed though (and would like ya'lls input on) is when you are standing in front of the bike and look down the inside of each front tire, lining up the top and bottom inside edges of the rims as a reference, my upper ball joint sets deeper into the rim on the clutch side of the bike than on the throttle side. The clutch side tire also cambers more than the throttle side as well. I'm speculating that I've got bent spindles (steering knuckles) but I don't know a way to verify before buying new ones.

Anyone had this problem and/or know of a way to check the spindles/knuckles?

Thanks.

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
My front tires on my '06 700 are cambering outwards (top of tire leans inward from the bottom of the tire). Anyone know what may allow this to happen? I had heavily dented lower A arms but replaced them a couple years ago. Uppers look fine.

One thing I noticed though (and would like ya'lls input on) is when you are standing in front of the bike and look down the inside of each front tire, lining up the top and bottom inside edges of the rims as a reference, my upper ball joint sets deeper into the rim on the clutch side of the bike than on the throttle side. The clutch side tire also cambers more than the throttle side as well. I'm speculating that I've got bent spindles (steering knuckles) but I don't know a way to verify before buying new ones.

Anyone had this problem and/or know of a way to check the spindles/knuckles?

Thanks.
You have bent ball joints

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks WillyKiller.
A casual look at them does not indicate the ball joints being damaged but I'll be happy if it is them as they should be less costly than hubs/spindles. Would you suspect upper, lowers or both?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any recommendations as to a brand of quality ball joints?
Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WillyKiller, I've finally had time to look at the ball joints. Visibly I'm unable to see anything bent. Looking at their thickness it's hard to believe they could get bent. They seem so stout that something else would give way before the ball joint bent. I'm replacing the lowers as I detect a tiny amount of vertical play. The uppers on the worst side seem firm but smooth in movement. The only thing that seems odd is that the ball joint stem, when oriented perpendicular to the a-arm ball joint socket, does not appear to be in the center of the socket. It seems outward of center of the socket/ball joint top (outward being towards the tire). That appearance does not seem like it could contribute to the camber issue though (top of tire inward of the bottom of the tire).

If you've had experience with bent ball joints, what did you see? Was the ball joint stem actually bent? Was your experience that the top and bottom of the tire were not in vertical alignment (excepting that maybe there's a small camber designed into the Raptor wheel alignment)? Was it bent upper or lower ball joints?

At this point I feel like the only thing to try is to buy $400 in new upper a-arms and see if that fixes it. Nothing I see makes me think it will, but if not the ball joints...what?

Thanks for your input, and anyone elses that may have en experience with the front ball joints.

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
WillyKiller, I've finally had time to look at the ball joints. Visibly I'm unable to see anything bent. Looking at their thickness it's hard to believe they could get bent. They seem so stout that something else would give way before the ball joint bent. I'm replacing the lowers as I detect a tiny amount of vertical play. The uppers on the worst side seem firm but smooth in movement. The only thing that seems odd is that the ball joint stem, when oriented perpendicular to the a-arm ball joint socket, does not appear to be in the center of the socket. It seems outward of center of the socket/ball joint top (outward being towards the tire). That appearance does not seem like it could contribute to the camber issue though (top of tire inward of the bottom of the tire).

If you've had experience with bent ball joints, what did you see? Was the ball joint stem actually bent? Was your experience that the top and bottom of the tire were not in vertical alignment (excepting that maybe there's a small camber designed into the Raptor wheel alignment)? Was it bent upper or lower ball joints?

At this point I feel like the only thing to try is to buy $400 in new upper a-arms and see if that fixes it. Nothing I see makes me think it will, but if not the ball joints...what?

Thanks for your input, and anyone elses that may have en experience with the front ball joints.
All you have to do is pop the ball joint out of its anchor and see if it's bent. Simple rotate it. If it wobbles you'll know its bent.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All you have to do is pop the ball joint out of its anchor and see if it's bent. Simple rotate it. If it wobbles you'll know its bent.
Your talking about popping it out of the hub when you say "anchor" correct? I have popped mine out of the hub and its visibly not bent and it moves smoothly but firmly. It does not strike me as failed or damaged.
Thanks for your input!

·
Valued Member
625 Posts
the ball joint stem, when oriented perpendicular to the a-arm ball joint socket, does not appear to be in the center of the socket.
That description sounds very much like a bent ball joint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts