Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if i would switch the front two tires around would it help with anything like riding, hieght, etc....

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
05rappy said:
i was wondering if i would switch the front two tires around would it help with anything like riding, hieght, etc....
Switch them around?

To increase the width? Is that what you are talking about?

I would not recommend it.

~Brian

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
copy,...over and out! :lol:
I'm not gifted at guessing so I had no idea what was being said.. :lol:
My first thought was "how in the heck is rotating your tires going to make you wider".

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol i mean can i turn each front tire around to make it wider, sit lower, or anything like that, is there an advantage to it or no.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have seen people do it. Does it add a little width to your front, yes. But for one its a pain relocating the valve stem. 2 I think it adds a little more stress on the front components. I am not a fan of spacer kits either, I say save up some cash and get some +2 arms. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My fronts are flipped, it definitely widens the front.

But, I took my bike to a local shop for a valve adjust, and the mechanics there all refused to ride it on the street. They said bikes with the fronts flipped are death traps.

I will be flipping mine back to normal.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
John said:
i see people doing this on blasters all the time

besides it looking funny, what makes it dangerous?
Weakens the studs due to the offset.

I've seen pictures of crashed quads due to a wheel cracking and breaking.

Not worth the risk.

Spend $79 bucks on a set of spacers or $500 on some A-Arms.

~Brian

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
ive been thinking about some wheel spacers for a little more stability without spending a forturne on aftermarket suspension

i only weigh about 150lbs, i ride trails and just mess around. i dont really go off any jumps, and if i do i doubt i go over 5' in the air. so my question is ---

what size spacers should i get without having to worry about breaking? i want to go as wide as possible but not have to think about the chance of them breaking while im riding. my friend has some for his yfz that he will give me but im hesitant on using them because they look pretty wide

thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
John said:
what size do you have?

I have the 1.5'' on each side front spacers and 2.5'' on each side rear spacers. I jump ALOT, and havent broke yet. Mine are the durablue spacers and so far are great, hope they hold up for atleast another month for my swingarm,a-arms, shocks come in.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Flipping the front wheels just changes the backspacing. The wheel isn't any weaker in this position but the increased leverage on the wheel is where you can have some problems. You'll never break a wheel in this manner any more often than you'd break a normally spaced wheel, but you might be more apt to catch a tree if the wheels are hanging out there.

They can be more difficult to handle as the front end becomes twitchy. That said it's not uncontrollable and can be safely run up to high speeds.

Would I do it? No. Would I recommend it? No. But I'll jump on a bike with offset/flipped front wheels and take it for a spin. I'll just stay off the jumps, off-camber sections, and out of tight or rocky trails.

Most of the problems found with offset/flipped front wheels are still present with wheel spacers. You've still got the twitchy front end, increased strain on suspension and steering components, increased strain on wheel studs, and odd handling.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
i just got some free wheel spacers today (check my motor build thread)

there 1" front and 2" rear i dont do any jumping and since they are .5" narrower than what 03rappy660 has and he jumps, i should be good. cant wait to put them on. does it look alot wider with the spacers?

·
Registered
145 Posts
mine are flipped, i dont really jump much and do mostly fast trails and man it is awesome! handles so much better! there is more bump-steer but i can handle it no problem. i did some jumps at a track lately and i could feel it was harder on the shocks so im getting some yfz ones and if i keep jumping ill put the fronts back to normal. for just trails though, it definately improves handling

1 - 19 of 19 Posts