Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to turn my wheels inside out to make the front of my quad wider. I also have 1.5" spacers. Will there be to much pressure on my a-arms if I have the spacers and wheels inside out? Thanks

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
I'd recommend without the spacers. Also look for a shorter valve stem, you'll need it.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have the correct bolts to do not use the spacers. Why will I need the shorter valve stem. I have my suspension on the softest setting, and I wont be jumping, maybe some wheelies... but mostly on flat ground, also.

·
Registered
131 Posts
IMO, the +1.5 and flipping the front wheels will put the ball joints further inboard and create alot of stress on them, leading to chewing up your ball joints.. just picturing it in my head, but i'd guess the majority of the stress would be put on the upper ball joints, which aren't servicable on the OEM a-arms. have to replace the whole a-arm to swap out to repair a bad ball joint.

the valve stem because it will catch (i think) the arms in a tight radius turn. ripping a valve stem would end your ruin your day and probably end your ride unless you have another set of wheels with you..

ETA: IMHO, even flipping the wheels is putting the ball joints about 2" further inboard than they were designed to operate. takes alot of the stress from centered under the spindle, which would be a vertical stress, and moving it further outside, changing it to a horizontal stress, which they weren't designed for.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
I don't think the camber will be a issue. It's gonna be the same as running the wheel the correct direction. The valve stem needs to be shorter cause it will hit the caliper.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
What it would do is move the pivot point out further putting more stress on your knuckle and joints. ALOT of bumpsteer! I wouldn't ever do this with spacers, would be unsafe in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have them mounted with the spacers on right now, but the quad is on a jack. The stem will not hit because I have the spacers. I just want to be safe. I dont want to be going 60mph and hit a bump and have a front wheel fly off:wow:

·
Registered
131 Posts
yea, that would truely be the start of a very bad day...

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
i wouldn't flip my wheels at all. I dont like spacers all that much either. Lots of bump steer, extra stress on suspension parts and tie rods, and in my eyes if you were to hit something with a front wheel all that extra leverage would bend a tie rod. Just my .02. I have run spacers and tried my wheels flipped also, not at the same time. On both instances, i went back to how it was. Didn't like how it felt.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
you also have to think about the extra leverage on the spacers and the studs from flipping the wheel. What type of spacers are they? Chances are they weren't designed for the added stress. Even on flat ground you never know, and you say you may do some wheelies also. I'm not telling you not to, just giving my input and what i would do.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are Dura-Blue Graph-Lite. All input is appreciated. I could ride without wheelies if I have too:(

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
They are Dura-Blue Graph-Lite. All input is appreciated. I could ride without wheelies if I have too:(
Dude. If your looking for a wider ride just spend the money on the Diamond J widening kit. It'll save you a lot of heartbreak in the end. Plus you'll be able to play around and not have to worry about it. Plus you'll be wider than what you would of been on the flipped rim and spacer setup.

·
Registered
131 Posts
dude... why would you give up fun, durability and performance for looks? heard the term "all show no go"??

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
if its the durablue i would defenitly shy away from this. I have seen those spacers crack on more than one ocasion

·
Registered
866 Posts
Dude. If your looking for a wider ride just spend the money on the Diamond J widening kit. It'll save you a lot of heartbreak in the end. Plus you'll be able to play around and not have to worry about it. Plus you'll be wider than what you would of been on the flipped rim and spacer setup.
This is a good route to go inexpensive and safe, you won't be worrying about breaking something.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts