Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just amazes me how many pipe companies offer zero dyno charts to back up their product. What even amazes me more is how nobody posts any #s at all on their "quiet" systems.

Don't these guys realize that quiet is the future? I think everyone realizes that to get quiet you will lose some performance, that's ok I can handle that but at least show me what you have.

I guess you're supposed to just plunk down hundreds of dollars without questioning the performance specs. Doesn't make no sense to me.

I'm so frustrated with shopping for pipes I'm about ready to quit. That ATV Rider mag pipe shootout is not worth the electrons it's published with. Is asking for an apples-to-apples test of pipes so much to ask?

Sorry for the rant.............

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
This is the prime reason I run just an aftermarket sparky. Loud pipes get riding areas shut down and piss people off.

These bikes make a ton of power stock, until the aftermarkets make more responsibly quiet pipes, the stocker will stay on mine.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
rich807 said:
It just amazes me how many pipe companies offer zero dyno charts to back up their product. What even amazes me more is how nobody posts any #s at all on their "quiet" systems.

Don't these guys realize that quiet is the future? I think everyone realizes that to get quiet you will lose some performance, that's ok I can handle that but at least show me what you have.

I guess you're supposed to just plunk down hundreds of dollars without questioning the performance specs. Doesn't make no sense to me.

I'm so frustrated with shopping for pipes I'm about ready to quit. That ATV Rider mag pipe shootout is not worth the electrons it's published with. Is asking for an apples-to-apples test of pipes so much to ask?

The LTE duals with the quite cores installed come in at 93 db and will cost you about 1.5 to 2 HP.
On my bolt on 700R I was making 48.5 RWHP with the quite cores in and 50.44 without them.
The duals are the best chioce for the 700R in sound sensitive areas and lose less power with the quite cores in than any of the singles out there that I am aware of.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
HMF is 103 with no core, and 97.5 with the core

most pipes are within 1-2 hp of each other, with the LTE's being on the upperend, but also cost over double what I paid for my full exhaust.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that the HMF Sport? I'd like to see the HMF's dyno #s WITH the core. I'm also interested in their quiet race pipes but as far as I saw they had no data on them at all (hp/dyno that is). I found some blanket reference about making 90% of other pipes but no dyno charts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
rich807 said:
Thanks but I have (look at the last paragraph in my 1st post). That test sucks.
Sorry, read the line and did not put the site and comment together... But with EFI and the computer controlling the system just replacing the exhaust is going to next to nothing.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
rich807 said:

The LTE duals with the quite cores installed come in at 93 db and will cost you about 1.5 to 2 HP.
On my bolt on 700R I was making 48.5 RWHP with the quite cores in and 50.44 without them.
The duals are the best chioce for the 700R in sound sensitive areas and lose less power with the quite cores in than any of the singles out there that I am aware of.
Not trying to be a dick but how do two exhaust pipes create less of a loss in power than one?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
..........cause its flowing twice as much :lol: :thumbsup:

On a single you are flowing twice as much exhaust threw ONE outlet and your plugging that ONE outlet with a pretty restrictive unit to obtain a reasonable tone.

On the duals you are flowing half as much out each can and the quit cores are not nearly as restrictive.

Basically the duals are flowing more...and being plugged less to be quit.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Understood. I just didn't think it would make that much a difference on a quad with a stock compression ratio.
Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Headrope said:
Understood. I just didn't think it would make that much a difference on a quad with a stock compression ratio.
Thanks for the information.
On a single cylinder four valve motor, exhaust scavenging is more efficient with two pipes in the RPM range that the Raptor lives in because it uses two slightly smaller diameter pipes.

Also you get more noise supression with far less restriction with two muffler cans versus one. So you get low restriction with all the power of a race pipe in a relatively quiet pipe.

For proper scavenging one exhaust pulse actually pulls the next one down the pipe since there is a low pressure wall behind it. On a single pipe this only works correctly in a VERY specific RPM range unless the pipe is tuned too overcome this problem. Like the CT Sonic. Look at the mid portion of the pipe and you will notice it is kind of cone shaped. The FMF Powerbomb has some tuning features too. That bulge is for more than just looks but it has it's limits. They would do better using the Megabomb bulge on a bigger motor like the 700, but it would still have limits.

There is a lot more to exhaust than just flow. Too much flow will actually kill power. If a quad had a four inch exhaust it would have great flow but would be a turd.

A properly tuned single mid pipe would usually do better if it were on a twin cylinder motor.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i have atv rider magazine and have also read the article, the comparisson is intrested, but they not compare many pipes, as lte and carbon models. I have send them an e-mail, to ask why they didn't do that and they asked me that the pipes should meet some sertain spesifications like noise db!!
Anyway nice magazine :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
blackraptor said:
i have atv rider magazine and have also read the article, the comparisson is intrested, but they not compare many pipes, as lte and carbon models. I have send them an e-mail, to ask why they didn't do that and they asked me that the pipes should meet some sertain spesifications like noise db!!
Anyway nice magazine :thumbsup:

I think there full of it, it seems who ever does the most advertising get the best results.
The LTE's are one of the quietest high performance pipes out there yet they didn't even test a set.
There pipe shoot outs are a friggen joke IMO

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
[/quote]
I think there full of it, it seems who ever does the most advertising get the best results.
The LTE's are one of the quietest high performance pipes out there yet they didn't even test a set.
There pipe shoot outs are a friggen joke IMO
[/quote]

I agree, and the fact that the only constant in the whole test was the intake w/o lid. You had slip-ons....full exhausts.....slip-ons with fuel controllers....full exhausts with fuel controllers.

What was the comparison again.......

·
Registered
429 Posts
The biggest mistake people make when buying exhaust is looking at the "big" gains. I question how the gains where made. Any motor mod has a cause and effect. I'd never buy an exhaust system just for a stock motor, I would however buy with other mods in mind. I currently have a yosh rs7 full system, open airbox with the gytr filter/adapter and the pcIII, I didn't expect full benifits from the exhaust with just those mods so I also plan on doing a hi-compression piston and at least a stage 1 hot cam when they are available. I agree with the fact most of those pipe shoot outs are more of a crappy paid advertisement than anything. Especially when they have notes that say something like jetting not required....hmmmm my$.02

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
GEARHEAD9969 said:
The biggest mistake people make when buying exhaust is looking at the "big" gains. I question how the gains where made. Any motor mod has a cause and effect. I'd never buy an exhaust system just for a stock motor, I would however buy with other mods in mind. I currently have a yosh rs7 full system, open airbox with the gytr filter/adapter and the pcIII, I didn't expect full benifits from the exhaust with just those mods so I also plan on doing a hi-compression piston and at least a stage 1 hot cam when they are available. I agree with the fact most of those pipe shoot outs are more of a crappy paid advertisement than anything. Especially when they have notes that say something like jetting not required....hmmmm my$.02
I agree that looking at peak horsepower number is a waste of time. Look for big fat long pulling torque numbers and an extended usable RPM range. That is where it's at for realworld riding power. I really don't care if a pipe will pull 52 hp peak if it only does it in a 300 RPM band and someone can only pull ahead of me pinned in fifth, down hill, with the wind at your back, for 5 seconds of the race. What I want to know is how broad is the torque curve, and how much power am I producing after the stock pipe would have signed off.

That being said I see no reason why someone shouldn't get a pipe for a stock motor with intake and fuel controller mods. There are significant gains to be had over the stock pipe. If it's the right pipe and it's tuned correctly.

Still don't think a pipe is worth anything on an internally stock motor? Take another look at that CT dyno chart in the shoot-out.Lame though it may be.
9 more foot pounds of torque at 3500 RPM. That's roughly a 30% gain and beat the stock torque all the way through!
Stayed above 40 hp through about a 4500 RPM range versus a 2500 RPM range stock. That's friggin huge.
Stayed above the stock peak HP for a band nearly 2700RPMs long. Sweet.
All that and I'd bet they didn't take the time to tune it fully. But yes they did at least use a fuel controller on this test.

I'd pay $500 for that. I'd bet it would have done nearly as well with two discs removed to make it a bit quieter too. I would bet money LTE and Barkers could rival if not outperform those number too.

You have a valid point that in order to take FULL advantage of a pipe, a piston and cam may be needed, but I would have to argue that a GOOD pipe is great bang for the buck bolt on power and will allow you the head room to do internal motor mods later.

As far as that pipe shoot-out goes...It was nearly a complete waste of the 15 miutes it took me to read it. I would much rather they do only three or four pipes the RIGHT way, with dyno tuning and fuel controllers on ALL pipes. By the way let's look at testing the pipes that are actually available and popular. Hindle??? Might very well be a good pipe if you don't mind buying one out of Canada. Has anyone ever even seen a Hindle? Don't like the noise level of the CT? Need it to be " just one decibel quieter"? Take a couple of discs out of the can dumbass. Then test it. It takes all of about 5 minutes to do. That's one of the great things about a tunable can. Too friggin lazy or stupid to do all those pipes right? Fine, do HMF, Yosh, CT, and LTE CORRECTLY with fuel controllers this month. Then do a few more in another issue.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
....telllll 'em!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.