Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed Barker in frame duals on my 06 700. I now have the big 3 installed and have adjusted my fuel settings.
Here is my problem. After a long hard pull I seem to have a vapor lock or fuel boiling problem. It acts like it is out of fuel. First time was after a long ride with no problem then a race back to camp. WOT in 5th and after several hundred yards it started cutting out. Second time was a WOT hill climb in third. Adjusted in some more fuel just because but it still seems to have the issue. After it sits and cools and gets refueled the problem is gone.
Anyone else have this problem and a cure? Thanks in advance Terry

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just installed Barker in frame duals on my 06 700. I now have the big 3 installed and have adjusted my fuel settings.
Here is my problem. After a long hard pull I seem to have a vapor lock or fuel boiling problem. It acts like it is out of fuel. First time was after a long ride with no problem then a race back to camp. WOT in 5th and after several hundred yards it started cutting out. Second time was a WOT hill climb in third. Adjusted in some more fuel just because but it still seems to have the issue. After it sits and cools and gets refueled the problem is gone.
Anyone else have this problem and a cure? Thanks in advance Terry
You may want to see if the fuel pump is simply crapping out? Put an external guage and watch it...if it does loose pressure it can also vapor lock if the fuel is getting hot so it could be a two fold problem..

·
Registered
330 Posts
whats the spark plug look like after this happens? I had a similar problem with a bike with barker duals and it was plug related.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Well he does have an 06, the vapor lock could be real. To the op have you ever had this before the big 3? And have you'd checked your fuel pump numbers to see if you have one of the pumps with the vapor lock issue?

·
Registered
332 Posts
happened to me once. the vent tube that comes out of the gas cap was twisted and it vapor locked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It happened first trip after installing the Barkers. It has a after market gas cap with the little short vent hose with the valve on top. Thats why I'm guessing it is related to the pipe install, then dump in some cold fuel and your off and running again.
I have not pulled the plug when this happened but assume it is white, have not noticed any black smoke like the plug was fouling.
It is a 06 and had the fuel pump issue taken care of when it was new. Last owner.

·
Sand Slinger Extraordinaire
234 Posts
Just for piece of mind, you might double check and make sure the pipes aren't melting any wires also. On the last build I just done, mine would cut out when the exhaust pipes got hot. Turned out I was smoking some wires that had fell down after tying them up. Would run alright until they got hot again...

Probably not the issue since your problem seems to be alright after opening the cap and adding fuel, but still might want to check.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
My guess would be your vent cap on the gas cap. I brought one for my quad and got vapor lock. Tried three different caps and all had problems. I just use the standard vent hose. Best of luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts