Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, first I want to say thanks for this awsome forum. I was planning to take my 03 660r to the shop on Tuesday but after reading here I was able to fix my issue. I had the reverse swith issue with the rev-limiter causing issues.

SO THE NEW ISSUE--- Got it up & running good today. After about 30 minutes of riding, i was coming out of a ditch, smashed the throttle & stood it right up vertical. I just slid off the rear, stood up & pushed the quad back on all 4 wheels. It wouldnt start & then I noticed alot of fuel coming from the carb area & fuel in the air filter box. The fuel is coming from the little hole on the bottom of the right carb so I turned the fuel valve off. The screw next to it was tight, I loosened it up, let the fuel drain, tightened it back & turned the fuel valve back on & it still has a steady stram from the bottom of the carb. Does this mean the float is stuck? Any ideas?

·
Registered
435 Posts
im having the same problem but i have dont have gas in my air box.

·
Registered
127 Posts
try tapping on the carb with something, sounds like the float has gotten stuck. if problem persists then take it appart, clean it and check movement of float and valve seat. i have never herd of the valve actually comming out from sudden shock but it is also a possability. report back with what works!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
^you proboboly just need to adjust your floats, have you done the clear tube method adjustment?
Yep something I'll have to try. Had the bike for 3 days now still runs great.
The bloke i brought it off said it did it from new.Which seams strange.

·
Registered
127 Posts
well the floats come adjusted improperly from the factory so it may have.. but anyway lets stop jackin this guys thread. lol

·
Master of the Electron
15,044 Posts
If it didn't do it before but it does now, float level hasn't changed, so it's not a function of float level adjustment - adjustment may still be a good idea, but it's not going to stop the leak.

If it just started doing it, your float valve is likely stuck open, either mechanically from being jammed against its stops when you went vertical, or from some debris that is in the valve seat.

As suggested above, tap at the rear of the float bowl with a hammer (lightly) and see if it stops. If not, remove the bowl and determine why the valve is not closing completely.

Sledneck - When he set the bike up vertical, any fuel in the float bowls drained into the air box.

Roar - a slow leak in the float valve won't be noticed when running as you use more fuel than the leak puts into the float chamber. When you stop, the leak will cause the chamber to overflow and drip out the tube. You also need to check to find what's keeping your float valve from closing fully.

Often, especially after cleaning the carbs, the o-ring inside the base of the float valve seat (unscrew the seat, you'll see it) leaks very slowly due to age or damage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finaly got a chance to mess with it last night. Drained all fuel from the bowls, gave it a little tap on the carbs, turned the fuel back on & rode for about 2 hours without a issue. Should I go ahead & remove & clean carbs or what do you guys think? Thank You!

·
Registered
435 Posts
i would giver a good spring cleaning.

·
Master of the Electron
15,044 Posts
Finaly got a chance to mess with it last night. Drained all fuel from the bowls, gave it a little tap on the carbs, turned the fuel back on & rode for about 2 hours without a issue. Should I go ahead & remove & clean carbs or what do you guys think? Thank You!
Wouldnt hurt to clean them, but wait until you get a problem that doesn't go away with a tap, IMO... or do it when you're doing other maintenance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quadmaniac,

You said that the o-ring inside the base of the float valve leaks slowly sometimes after cleaning. Do you (or does anyone) know if those o-rings are sold separately? I see in the parts fiche, it is sold as a set (o-ring and new float valve i believe). Or can I just grab some o-rings of the same size at Home Depot. I think it'd be a good idea for me to change those out when I open my carbs back up this weekend.

·
Master of the Electron
15,044 Posts
I just used equivalent o-rings from a hardware store... I know that the individual ring for a Suzuki float seat is available, but haven't tried the Rappy one at the dealer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I work for Home Depot... that is why I asked. I'll have to remove them and compare at work. I didn't actually check for the OEM o-rings at a dealership, but when I looked at the microfiche on Rockymountainatv.com's OEM page, the o-ring comes with the seats... not separate. Thanks for the info though. I'll look into it.

·
Master of the Electron
15,044 Posts
I have a huge kit of o-rings that I bought at Harbor Freight for around $20. It has perhaps 200-300 o-rings of 20-30 different sizes. It has come in quite handy when rebuilding both Rappy and Honda 400 carbs. Every ring I have needed has been in the kit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks QuadManiac. That is some great information. I think we have similar (not quite as big) of sets at Home Depot. I'll take a look.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts