Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took out my boss' 06 700r this weekend and found this is what happened.

A little background,

He got the quad and rode it once then it sat being run once and a while over winter.
one time it went out he got on it cold and just floored it. fouled out the plug bad and it wouldnt start again.

I put a new plug in it and it sat again for a while before this weekend.

I took it out and rode about 20 minutes and came back in to check the oil again and see that it was all happy. and planning to change the breakin oil out i came to find out the was fuel in it.

I went home and changed the oil and filter on it and went back out.

Checking it about every 15-20 minutes it seemed fine. towards the end of the day i checked it before i went out for my last loop and it again had fuel in the oil...

What do you guys think???

im thinking the rings didnt seat good or something but im not completely sure on it. is there anything you suggest i try.

·
Registered
314 Posts
this has been discussed multiple times. most who have found this turned out to be not checking the oil properly. a few however have found that there was indeed a problem, which was the TPS.

a smell of fuel is normal, i stress to you, when you drain it out, MEASURE how much comes out before you like others have a stroke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to check it again when i get home tonight. I plan on draining it again tonight to see whats up i just wanna wait till the bike shop opens again to get another filter and more oil. I also wanna try a new plug in it incase it fould out somehow.

·
Registered
779 Posts
if it's basically new and not broken in, the fuel smell is totally normal

like the guy above said, read the other posts on this very topic and see how you make out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My other reason to believe something may not be correct and thinking it is now the TPS is that while at idle letting it get warm to check the oil the exhaust right out the head got cherried hot. so if the TPS is inaccurate it could cause it to run lean and then while riding dump too much at some times. unless it is totally normal for that to happen as well.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Cherry red pipes is normal at idle. Mine did it from the start and runs fine.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I thought I had the fuel problem but the TPS was bad. Today I changed the oil for the 4th time since it went to the shop for the TPS replacement. For those who were asking to have some one measure what comes out. I did. A little over 55oz. So it was just about 2 quarts. One quart is 28oz. So 56oz. would be 2 quarts to all you geniuses. And the last oz. was in the pan and a little spilled when pouring into the container. So this is proof I am not getting fuel dumping in my oil. But let me tel you it still smelled quite a bit like fuel.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Well then that's good news! Congrats! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to see how much and where i can get a TPS and hopefully have this thing running this weekend

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Did it flash a code?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no code on it. and if it flashed and i didnt see it, it should stay on right? or no?

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
If you turn the key on (but don't start the bike) Watch the check engine light. If there's a code, it'll flash it then.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Dr.D, glad to hear you got everything straightened out :thumbsup:

alcolade, if you had the TPS problem, chances are your machine would run like total crap, as did alot of the other guys. as for your pipes getting red, yeah bro, thats totaly normal. if you think it glows now stock, wait until you do some mods on it...your gonna drop a solid gold brick.

always to be safe than sorry, but i realy think your ok from what you've told us so far.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
SE700r said:
Dr.D, glad to hear you got everything straightened out :thumbsup:

alcolade, if you had the TPS problem, chances are your machine would run like total crap, as did alot of the other guys. as for your pipes getting red, yeah bro, thats totaly normal. if you think it glows now stock, wait until you do some mods on it...your gonna drop a solid gold brick.

always to be safe than sorry, but i realy think your ok from what you've told us so far.
Thanks Good to finally feel like everything is going great with it again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts