Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading another post about FI for a 660 and a light bulb lit and i wondered...

Can someone theoretically take a FI unit, the whole shibang (sensors, controllers, etc), from a 700 and put it on a 660?

Could we 660 riders find one at a dealership?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Could you, yes. But it'd be faster and easier to swap the whole head and cylinder along with it. Using that system with the 5 valve 660 head would end up being a nightmare to adapt.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the 660 and 700 frames the same? I wonder if it would be easier to just do an engine swap...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
When you get to that point, you'd have to weigh the cost of a new 700 or a KMS kit. Don't forget that with the KMS kit not only are you getting fuel injection, you're also getting the software to program your own maps, which I think is expensive by itself and a common purchase for 700 owners.

I sent an email to KMS a while back asking about a group buy or a lower price. I also asked them about what displacements/power levels the kit would support but never got a response. If you get down to brass tacks, the KMS kit is only about $400 more and a lot more flexible than FCR's.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
true enough... I want fuel injection, but i like my rappy too much to just switch to something else.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Oops, I did some editing to my response while you were posting that. There's only two things I'm jealous of with the 700: the four valve head and the FI.

EDIT: I tried to find more info on how the tuning is done... I just sent an email to one of the retailers with the same questions I asked KMS directly a few months ago.

·
Registered
177 Posts
will the 700 motor fit a 660??

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Why not just buy a 700??? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a used engine is way cheaper

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
A used engine for a 700 with all the bells and whistles to make it work nice and all the B.S. to get it to fit? Cheaper? A little I'm sure? The hassle factor is way to high in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sometimes the hassle can be fun... more of a project than a hassle.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'm all for a good project, I'd just like to get a little more out of it. R6 or R1 swap would be nice, worth the "hassle" :lol: Not much of a trail bike though, but would still be cool.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I would definitely be interested if a 700 cylinder and head could be fitted to a 660 bottom end without too much hastle. I wouldn't be interested in a complete swap though. If it came to that I would just buy a 700.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I hear ya! That's just more of a "WOW really? hey thats cool" kinda reaction getter. :lol:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if i wouldn't get my carb dialed in, i would be more upset. It's dialed in, ergo i'm not that interested in the FI. Gotta do my A-arms and shocks now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts