Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read every post on the subject and I've had the carbs out at least 50 times, I am not joking.

I have never gotten this quad to run since the day I got it , about six months ago so it just sits.

I got some spare time today and took out the carbs and adjusted the "tangs" about five times. either trying to keep the bike running.(it starts runs Ok with the choke on then dies and wont start , I guess it floods itself out.)

OR to get it to start at all, (adjust the tangs "too low" and no fuel gets in so no start)

It seems to me there is no sweet spot, either it leaks or no start, no matter how little I bend the "tangs" it still does either one of those.

Quotes from RF I think willy or maniac:

"The ONLY way fuel gets into the bowl is through the float valve. If the bowl is overflowing, the ONLY possibilities are:

1) Leaking float valve - dirty, damaged rubber tip on float needle, or scratch on float seat face"

NO Just replaced part of rebuild kit.

2) Leaking float valve seat o-ring - cracked, worn, or debris stuck under it prior to tightening

3) Float adjusted too high - bend the tang to set proper height

Like I said above....

4) Float stuck - check alignment of float on mounting pin

NO

5) Damaged float - crack/leak allows fuel to get inside float which prevents it from floating on top of fuel in bowl"

NO, tested in water. they sure do float...

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE TO LOOK FOR???? I'M ABOUT TO BURN IT TO THE GROUND WITH ALL THE GAS THAT'S LEAKING OUT.

·
Addicted To Raptor
255 Posts
from my experience with my 660 i had a hell of a time with my carbs (reason for selling and getting my 700) anyways my needle valves would get stuck all the time due to all the ethanol in the gas which makes the brass corrode to the aluminum.....when stuck it would barely start but i would get gas out of my drain tubes as well. I tried turning fuel off and running gas out of carbs after each ride....didnt work. Tried leaving gas in carbs with every fuel treatment you could think of...didnt work. Even went with ethanol free fuel and it seemed to help the most but by this time it was a year of no riding and was fed up with it so I got if fixed and running great and immediately sold it......good luck!! If you have the extra dough, sell it and buy a nice used 700.

just my 2 cents

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I've read every post on the subject and I've had the carbs out at least 50 times, I am not joking.

I have never gotten this quad to run since the day I got it , about six months ago so it just sits.

I got some spare time today and took out the carbs and adjusted the "tangs" about five times. either trying to keep the bike running.(it starts runs Ok with the choke on then dies and wont start , I guess it floods itself out.)

OR to get it to start at all, (adjust the tangs "too low" and no fuel gets in so no start)

It seems to me there is no sweet spot, either it leaks or no start, no matter how little I bend the "tangs" it still does either one of those.

Quotes from RF I think willy or maniac:

"The ONLY way fuel gets into the bowl is through the float valve. If the bowl is overflowing, the ONLY possibilities are:

1) Leaking float valve - dirty, damaged rubber tip on float needle, or scratch on float seat face"

2) Leaking float valve seat o-ring - cracked, worn, or debris stuck under it prior to tightening

3) Float adjusted too high - bend the tang to set proper height

Like I said above....

4) Float stuck - check alignment of float on mounting pin

NO

5) Damaged float - crack/leak allows fuel to get inside float which prevents it from floating on top of fuel in bowl"

NO, tested in water. they sure do float...

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE TO LOOK FOR???? I'M ABOUT TO BURN IT TO THE GROUND WITH ALL THE GAS THAT'S LEAKING OUT.
Did you follow the instructions for adjusting the floats in the mod section, here is a link...........

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Befor you go crazy with the carbs, do a leakdown test or simple compression test to check the valves and ring sealing. Your valves may have gone past zero lash and need to be adjusted. You can download the manuel in matinance sticky section. Do finish your carb work. Good luck.

·
Master of the Electron
15,228 Posts
Definitely check valve clearance.

BUT - If you have fuel coming out the bottom tubes then either the float valves are still open, allowing fuel to overlow OR the bottom drain screws are loose or not seating correctly, or the brass overflow tube is not seated well in the aluminum float bowl..

If the fuel is coming past the float valves, then either they aren't seating, the seat's o-ring is leaking (perhaps the surface the ring seats against is damaged?), or the seat and/or rubber tip are mis-aligned... when you bend the tang on the float it is possible to move the centration of the float valve within the seat, causing it to not close fully.

Regardless - even if the bowl is always overflowing, you will just be a little rich, so the bike should start and run... I expect your starting issue is something else, ESPECIALLY when you state it will start with choke, but then won't run without it - this is opposite from what should be happening with an overflowing float bowl.

I suggest your pilot jets may be plugged (since you didn't mention them specifically). Did you look through them to make sure a nice, circular shaft of light comes through? Use copper strands if necessary to clean out their tiny passage.

If you truly think it's because of the overflow, just turn off the fuel petcock and keep trying to start it... eventually, the fuel will drop to the correct level in the bowls, and if all else is ok (which I suspect it is NOT), it should start and run for a minute or two.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Definitely check valve clearance.

BUT - If you have fuel coming out the bottom tubes then either the float valves are still open, allowing fuel to overlow OR the bottom drain screws are loose or not seating correctly, or the brass overflow tube is not seated well in the aluminum float bowl..

If the fuel is coming past the float valves, then either they aren't seating, the seat's o-ring is leaking (perhaps the surface the ring seats against is damaged?), or the seat and/or rubber tip are mis-aligned... when you bend the tang on the float it is possible to move the centration of the float valve within the seat, causing it to not close fully.

Regardless - even if the bowl is always overflowing, you will just be a little rich, so the bike should start and run... I expect your starting issue is something else, ESPECIALLY when you state it will start with choke, but then won't run without it - this is opposite from what should be happening with an overflowing float bowl.

I suggest your pilot jets may be plugged (since you didn't mention them specifically). Did you look through them to make sure a nice, circular shaft of light comes through? Use copper strands if necessary to clean out their tiny passage.

If you truly think it's because of the overflow, just turn off the fuel petcock and keep trying to start it... eventually, the fuel will drop to the correct level in the bowls, and if all else is ok (which I suspect it is NOT), it should start and run for a minute or two.
Hay QM, where were you when they needed to adjust the hodinky valve at Chernoble? Great job:wow:

·
Registered
1 Posts
would like to be a member of this raptor forum it always seems to help when I have a problem and would like to give back advice. thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts