Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well looks like I got one of the early '06 models

I would imagine the service bulletin for the early '06's had an ID number. Anyone have it by chance. I'm getting the same symtoms and wouldn't you know it my dealer can't find that service bulletin. I'm almost certain that's what it is because I've checked the part number and it's got the 1S3-13907-01 part# which would be the faulty one.

If any of you took yours in and your dealer had the sevice bulletin and fixed it, could you post the dealers contact info so I could have my dealer call yours in order to verify the problem exists.

Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've printed the scanned in service bulletin and am going to give it to the tech that works on it in the hopes that he doesn't think I'm making this up.

That's why I was hoping one of you that took yours in to be fixed could give me your dealer contact info, so they could contact them and not think I was crazy :lol:

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Sofa King said:
I've printed the scanned in service bulletin and am going to give it to the tech that works on it in the hopes that he doesn't think I'm making this up.
Yeah, good idea, sometimes techs can be quite ignorant.. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
841 Posts
ive got one of the defective ones but never had any problems with it...took in a printed page from the bulletin and they actedlike it couldnt be true and told me there was really nothign they could do about it, told me he would get back to me havent heard anything from em, fuck it I guess...first sign of a problem with it and Ill raise hell to get a new one :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:

Raptor went in to the dealer yesterday afternoon and I get a call from dad (due to me working, he took the Raptor in for me) saying they were ordering a new fuel pump and it should be in, in a couple of days. So, looks like I'll be fixed up without a hassle. We'll see how it goes when I go to pick it up.

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sofa King said:
UPDATE:

Raptor went in to the dealer yesterday afternoon and I get a call from dad (due to me working, he took the Raptor in for me) saying they were ordering a new fuel pump and it should be in, in a couple of days. So, looks like I'll be fixed up without a hassle. We'll see how it goes when I go to pick it up.

I have one of the very early raptors and was wondering what kind of problems you were having with the fuel pump

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
proarmor700r said:
Sofa King said:
UPDATE:

I have one of the very early raptors and was wondering what kind of problems you were having with the fuel pump
I was riding for several hours and noticed when I shut it off it was getting a little warm. When I tried to restart, the starter would turn over but the engine would not. I previously read the above the link and figured that it was a vapor lock problem so my buddy and I just sat their for a little while and let it cool down. After letting it cool for a while it fired right up. When I got home, checked the part number and also pushed my fan connections the rest of the way together. The only problem I have now is listening to my friends crap about buying a Yamaha. (He's a Honda guy) That's OK though, I won't hear him when I leave his ass in the dust on the trail. :grin_nod:

It's pretty easy to check to see if you have the faulty fuel pump part #. All you have to do is take the allen head bolts out on the top of the hood. Then slide the hood off. The rest of the hood is held on by plastic pins and slides. Then take your seat off. The plastic cover over the gas tank is held on by two plastic pop pins. Then you'll want to take the gas cap off and slide off the plastic gas tank cover. The part # will be visible on the white plastic. The faulty number ends in 01. If you have 02 your good to go.

UPDATE ON MINE: Mine has been fixed and is home again WOO-HOO :grin_nod:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well my Rappy was holding it's own being the only 2WD in a large group of mostly 4WD polaris' this weekend when it happened. Shut it off, came back about 5 minutes later and it was vapor locked. Just like the TSB describes, NY gas, running hot (lots of mud). Let it cool off and it started right up. I had to hear about it....(meanwhile two of the polarisis' overheated (cake up low mounted radiators) and anotherone wouldn't start at all after it stalled)

Now the kicker, a new pump is $350!!!! $350 b/c a hole isn't big enough?! I'm out of warranty so is Yamaha's problem now my problem? Has anyone here simply found a way to machine the bleed hole to .08mm themselves? If no one else has for $350 I may be the first one to try it. Is there anything else different or is it simply this bleed hole?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
two words "EXTENDED WARRANTY"

Anytime I buy first year models of anything I get an extended warranty...the manufacturers almost never have all the bugs worked out, when they release a new design!

·
Registered
39 Posts
SEVEN00 said:

Anytime I buy first year models of anything I get an extended warranty...the manufacturers almost never have all the bugs worked out, when they release a new design!
That doesn't help me now and since I bought it used it wasn't an option for me anyway. Anyone else with more than two words of advice? I'm calling some dealers today to see what they say.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
SEVEN00 said:

I can see it now, walk into the service dept and ask:

Excuse me sir, I just blew up my 6mil stroke 105mm bore cammed, P&Ped 700R will my extended warranty cover it? Sevice manager: :rofl: :rofl: :wave-finger:

I can't say that I agree with buying the extended warranty myself :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
mine goes in on the 5th for the local shop to look at the fuel pump, hopefully i can talk the guy into looking into the TPS also.

·
Registered
314 Posts
TacticalRaptor said:
SEVEN00 said:

That doesn't help me now and since I bought it used it wasn't an option for me anyway. Anyone else with more than two words of advice? I'm calling some dealers today to see what they say.
Let us know what you find. Im in a similar situation to yours and I cant see paying $350 for something with a slightly bigger hole in it!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm the one that posted that TSB. It is real. It was given to me by my brother in law who happens to be a trained Yamaha tech. Your local shop may not be aware of it unless their techs go to the factory training sessions. I had the 01 pump but it never gave me problems. I did however get it replaced on the cuff by my BIL. I also had the fan connector issue and it was a problem. No sweat to fix though. I re-connected the bullet plugs on the fan wires and installed the fuel pump myself. It's a piece of cake. It is however very friggin expensive if you have to buy it. Here is a tip though....They are like almost half price in Germany for some stupid assed reason. ::)

You can USUALLY overcome the vapor lock in a pinch by removing the gas cap and blowing in the tank. It's a bitch cause you really have to put alot of pressure in it and you may blow a roid doing it...but it does work. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
The first dealership I contacted took about two weeks of back and forth to tell me "it looks like a customer pay at this point". To me it looks like they aren't they only YAmaha dealer in the world and I won't be spending any of my money there ever again. I sent out the TSB as well as links to these threads to several other area dealers and will let you know what develops..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well after a few emails back and forth with the original dealer I got this today...

"Good news, that wasnt done at the factory like most of them where, bring it in and we'll get it warranted"

So I guess if you're persistent enough....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oddly enough I got this from another dealer the next day...

"We have contacted Yamaha Motor Corp and they are offering a partial credit on your cost of replacing the fuel pump with the newer style if you wish. The warranty has expired on your machine back in August of 2006. If you wish to take advantage of this offer..the pump sells for$438.00 and Yamaha will offset the cost with a $250.00 credit making your cost for the pump the difference amount of $223.00.(including tax) If you are convenient to our location we can install the new unit for you"

And I haven't heard anything back from the other 4 dealers I contacted...typical.

Just thought I'd share my experience with this issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts