Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious to see what gas everyone uses and why. my 700 is stock so i just use 93 exxon/mobil. some of my friends use 100 unleaded cam2 with there stock and 3 mod quads . what is overkill and what is ideal? i would think 93 octane would be fine for any bike that is stock up to the 3 mods. then maybe after that use something like 100 octane unleaded.? :3question:

·
Registered
242 Posts
My opinion is this, even with the three mods the bike should run okay on 91-93, elevation has a lot to do with this. Our bike has a lot more done then just the three mods and for the break in and peace of mind, we're running vp 110. 100 is definitely overkill on a bike that probably runs worse with "over octaning it" opposed to not.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The lowest octane on which your engine exhibits no more than occasional mild pinging under heavy load (not detonation) is recommended by manufacturers. Higher octane than required leads to combustion chamber deposits (over time) which lead to hot spots which lead (ironically) to increased potential for pre-ignition. The 3 mods don't increase your octane requirement, they increase your fuel requirement which will cause high operating temps (and potentially lean-induced detonation) if not corrected. High-quality 87 octane is fine (and recommended by Yamaha) until you increase compression or advance ignition timing. Some will disagree but I wouldn't spend the $ on premium unless it was doing something for me.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Running more than mid grade fuel on a stock 700 is a waste of time and money. More compression requires more octane.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I run regular unleaded in mine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I use Chevron with Techron ;) .... 91octane. I agree, anything 0ver 89 octane on a stocker is a waste of 10cents per gallon :thumbsup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
size12 said:
In the UK regular is 95 and super is 97/98 and i find that my bike will pink (pre ignition) on regular so always run super, And at UK prices that sucks :(

maybe its the sulfar content????
That sounds strange -i`m in sweden and i`m running 95 oct with a je 11:1 and 0 preignition ..have tried 98 too with no other diff..

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
It is likely that the octane rating system is different in the UK.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
what you gotta watch is the newer fuels have ethanol in them and if your bikes not fuel injected watch out ( i know the 700 is but if you own other bikes) you will see the pump will have a decal ststing this and say it may not be compatible with some boats, that's cause it's shit fuel ( ie cut down with ethanol ) and pings like crazy in my denali so i stay away from it, i wont use it period...... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ive run 87 and 91, which still pings from time to time.

When I was running the turbo I ran 100 and 104. After removing the turbo, I had to get rid of the race fuel, so I ran it,and the bike ran bitchin!!! Needless to say it did not ping. Im not about to spend that much money on fuel for a N\A bike, but those were my findings.

·
Registered
554 Posts
size12 said:
In the UK regular is 95 and super is 97/98 and i find that my bike will pink (pre ignition) on regular so always run super, And at UK prices that sucks :(

maybe its the sulfar content????
In Europe you use the Research Octane number for rating octane. Her in the U.S. we use the Research Octane + Motor Octane/2. Generally speaking UK Octane numbers on the pumps are 5 points higher than the same rated octane in the U.S.

Also remember your Race gas does not have Deposit control additives in it like pump gas does. So if you run it for a long period you will have carbon deposits build up rather quickly.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I run mid grade chevron usually. I use to run premium cause I was use to running it in the YFZ which required it stock.
The 700 DOES NOT need that high octane. You can run regular 87 without a problem. I would not go below 87 though, if in your area regualr is like 85 (I know wyoming has low octane).
In washington state we have 87reg-89mid and 91-92prem.
I usually just run the mid grade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.