Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raptors have a (R) reverse indicator light that also flashes when your low on fuel. There appears to be a sensor when you look inside the tank, but since there are no electrical connections when you remove the tank, does anyone know how that low fuel signal is relayed to the R indicator light?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Ya mine doesnt flash, I just run out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My raptor, along with 3 other buddies (all 2003 models) "R" flashes when low on fuel. The funny thing is that it won't do it all the time. Unless the flashing means something else other than low on fuel and it's coincidental. I'm not sure. There doesn't appear to be anything on that in the service nor owner's manual on a flashing reverse light.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
I've got a 2003 as well. The light has never flashed on me, and my Raptor is on reserve now (sputtered on me from rolling throught the hood this weekend).

This sounds like a Maddog question.

~Brian

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Nice idea, and would be a great feature, but it's just coincidental. The rev light flashes steadily when you overheat, when you have your idle set high or when you're holding the throttle too much in neutral. Inconsitent flashing may be an indication of a poor electrical connection or mis-adjusted parking brake.

Is it possible that the parking brake is simply not adjusted properly, and you mistook the horrible way it runs with the parking brake limiter as an indication that you were low on fuel?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The steadily flashing "R" is primary to the temp sensor light? The "R" will flash before the temp light? Is that correct?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I'm sorry I thought but I forgot to type. What I was going to say is that the bike could be overheating and the reverse light is on because the last time you took the dash apart you didn't put the correct lens with the correct light.

I've done this before, but I thought my bike was overheating whenever I idled too high... ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand what you are trying to say, but if that were the case then when I put the bike in reverse, the temp light would light up. That's not the case. Reverse light works fine when in gear, however, it flashes occasionally when low on fuel. Like you said it's probably coincidence, but I remember on a few occassions it would do that while riding in the middle of the desert and the bike started bogging out. I switched to reserve, and it stopped bogging. That's the main reason why all this time I thought it was a feature that the bike came with; even though I didn't seem to find any electrical connections to the fuel tank.

So to make sure I understand you correctly, flashing "R" stands for bike idling too high?
If so, how does it detect that? Sensor? Will lowering the idle automatically take care of the flashing "R"?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have exsperance flashing rev light and it was due to idle screw being set to high or because it was ideling to high. Im constently adjusting mine ever other ride thats prob to do with someing in the carb fuel line . But yeah I can help verfiy that the rev will flash if idel on bike is high/to high and should be adjust soon. No big prob from what I know.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advise. All this time I thought it was because of low fuel. I guess it was coincidence. I'll try turning down the idle when I get home. I'm sure the "R" will stop flashing. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
mine did that also, at first a did think of the low fuel indicator, but saw no electrical connection to the tank, my local mechanic told be the reverse shift sensor, it was not tight and the bike thought it was in reverse and the engine stalled(rev limiter).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts